ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Busco <bruno.bu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Contributor branch Proposal, was: Contributor branches https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Contributors+Branch+proposal was: Attaching files to a product
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 05:51:59 GMT
Having these extensions managed as add-on modules in a separate repository
will be beneficial to the OFBiz trunk.

I mean that this way of managing extensions will probabily require
improvements in the trunk itself to better manage extensions. (i.e.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-3373)

Having the extensions in the trunk could generate new dependency problems
(like we have now with many of OFBiz components) and will not help setting
in place a powerfull, community-wide method of managing extensions.

My two cents,

-Bruno

2010/7/15 BJ Freeman <bjfree@free-man.net>

> Inlne:
>
> David E Jones sent the following on 7/15/2010 10:39 AM:
>

>> This looks like more of a separate repository than a branch of OFBiz.
>>
> yes and no.
> since it would usually not be merged back to ofbiz, yes, being able to sync
> trunk to branch that all in the branch work with no.
>

>> First off, the term "branch" just doesn't apply. A branch of a source
>> repository is
>>

> effectively a copy of the repo that can be changed separately
> that was the intention.
>

> and is meant to eventually be merged back into the trunk.
> If a branch is not meant to be merged back into the trunk, it is a fork.
> So version 4.0 9.04, 10.4 will be merged back to the trunk?
> or are they now Forks?
>

>> What you're describing isn't even a fork as it doesn't sound like it would
>> be a copy of OFBiz that is changed separately,
>>
> matter of perspective
>
> but rather a repository for add-on modules.
> of course they are addons.
> for instance the manufacturing, travel and Eccommerce would be defined as
> addon, Just as the finacial Services, telecommunication, Proffiessional
> services, Insurance and HealthCare are in the vol II of data model book.
> so why limit it to just those vertical markets. there are many.
> By having the trunk brought into the Contributors "section" they would
> could access it and pull down everything at once to work with or use.
>

>> Also, it sounds like it would best be done outside of the ASF, especially
>>
> the reason to keep it was the ability to move the truck into it.
>

> if you don't want a vote where PMC votes are binding... that's all there is
> at the ASF.
> clarification  it was meant to communicate the popular vote is meant as an
> indicatore, but the PMC would be the deciding vote.
>

>> For those interested, why not just create a sourceforge or google code
>> project and share commit access with others who are interested? There is
>> nothing that says OFBiz add-on modules have to be part of the project, or
>> that people can't create separate projects to do such things. If various
>> people want to work together to do so, from the community spirit
>> perspective... all the better!
>>
> it also gives ofbiz a greater appeal to the users that may use ofbiz in a
> vertical market.
> and it does not stop  any current developer from learning and offering
> these.
>

>> -David
>>

>> On Jul 15, 2010, at 10:11 AM, BJ Freeman wrote:
>>

>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Contributors+Branch+proposal
>>>
>>> David E Jones sent the following on 7/15/2010 9:03 AM:

between

Other

it has never
instead of create

> [...]