ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Scott Gray <scott.g...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Subject Re: Contributor branches, was: Attaching files to a product
Date Sat, 10 Jul 2010 05:53:59 GMT
It would be less work to merge such changes back than it would be to try and administer any
number of contributor branches.

The ASF has pretty clear policies about who can commit to ASF repositories and the process
for granting those privileges.  You cannot simply grant commit privileges at will even if
it is only to a branch.

You disappoint me as a PMC member to even be raising the idea, it would be nice if you had
at least a basic understanding of how the ASF works.

Regards
Scott

On 10/07/2010, at 5:43 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> You disappoint me as a technical person that you do not see the benefit
> of being able to easily merge changes back in the branch what is not
> possible in sourceforge etc...
>
> On Sat, 2010-07-10 at 17:27 +1200, Scott Gray wrote:
>> What need would contributor branches meet that can't already be met using the likes
of sourceforge, google code or github?

>> Regarding your other statements, at some point Hans you are going to need to ask
yourself why it is mostly only your commits that cause so much negative discussion.  Everyone
else seems to work together just fine for the most part.  I'm not saying it's all your fault
but you can't just blame everyone else for these problems and ignore your own contribution
to them.

>> Regards
>> Scott
>>
>> On 10/07/2010, at 2:54 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>>
>>> I have the same opinion as you BJ, even as a committer it is too much
>>> problem contributing because of the number of technical people in the
>>> PMC which often only judge on technical qualities and making the system
>>> technically as difficult as possible.
>>>
>>> The current discussion (not really sure if it is one) between Adrian and
>>> me is a good example.
>>>
>>> I think it would be a good idea to have contributor branches. Other PMC
>>> members who would support this?
>>>
>>> To be honest i think that you should try to become a committer, i know
>>> why you did not accept in the past, but please reconsider.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Hans

assign a commercial product to the part where manufacture may list many actual purchase parts
that will never be sold individually.

and keep in mind that we are discussing OFBiz in this mailing list, not your derivative of
it.