ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Crum <adri...@hlmksw.com>
Subject Re: Component locations (was: Contributor branch Proposal)
Date Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:40:09 GMT
On 7/20/2010 2:10 PM, David E Jones wrote:
> Unfortunately many committers don't feel it is so important which is why we have hundreds
of ridiculous dependencies from the framework to the base apps, from the base apps the special
purpose apps, and from one special purpose app to another, and NONE of that should be allowed.

Are you sure many committers don't feel it is important? From my
perspective it seems to be more like a misunderstanding of the
distinction. When bad dependencies are pointed out, most committers fix
them.

> That is why in my effort to right the wrongs of OFBiz with the Moqui framework, the framework
will be a SEPARATE PROJECT so that no backwards dependencies are possible.

How is that project going, btw?

> Also, another separate project will be data structures (like the data model resource
book, basically the OFBiz data model cleaned up and made more consistent and removing a lot
of stuff that isn't used or is a bad idea) and common business-process oriented services (following
patterns in OAGIS or something similar). That will be separate from ANY application that an
end-user can use.

Data structures without an application - that would be interesting to see.

> IMO going in that direction is necessary because people just don't generally accept how
critical it is to organize things well in large software. Drawing certain clear lines like
this helps a lot and will make it far easier for those customizing and extending existing
artifacts.

Again, this is a generalization that doesn't ring true. I don't know of
any OFBiz developer who is *against* organizing things. Is the
organizational structure you have in mind documented anywhere?

-Adrian