ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From BJ Freeman <bjf...@free-man.net>
Subject Re: Contributor branches, was: Attaching files to a product
Date Sat, 10 Jul 2010 06:07:07 GMT
I am writing a proposal for Contributors branch.
some of the points are:
1)components not continued to be supported in the specialpurpose get
move to the contributors branch till interest is renewed.
this would simplify maintaining the trunk but allow people to pull it
down if they want to work on it.
2)there is no guarantee of the ofbiz community support of the contributions.
3)people can test the contribution and may vote to include it in the trunk.
4)it gives one place to make sure all contributions are integrated with
the latest trunk and each other without effecting the trunk.

it puzzles me that it is ok open a branch to collorate, but when
opportunity to have a lot of contributions avalible that would spread
Ofbiz acceptance you bulk. under you logic that it can be done elsewhere
why not do the same for Hippo.
I would be interested in your reasons why besides it can be elsewhere.

Scott Gray sent the following on 7/9/2010 10:27 PM:
> What need would contributor branches meet that can't already be met using the likes of
sourceforge, google code or github?

> Regarding your other statements, at some point Hans you are going to need to ask yourself
why it is mostly only your commits that cause so much negative discussion.  Everyone else
seems to work together just fine for the most part.  I'm not saying it's all your fault but
you can't just blame everyone else for these problems and ignore your own contribution to
them.

> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 10/07/2010, at 2:54 PM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>
>> I have the same opinion as you BJ, even as a committer it is too much
>> problem contributing because of the number of technical people in the
>> PMC which often only judge on technical qualities and making the system
>> technically as difficult as possible.
>>
>> The current discussion (not really sure if it is one) between Adrian and
>> me is a good example.
>>
>> I think it would be a good idea to have contributor branches. Other PMC
>> members who would support this?
>>
>> To be honest i think that you should try to become a committer, i know
>> why you did not accept in the past, but please reconsider.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hans
>>

>> On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 18:33 -0700, BJ Freeman wrote:
>>> my goal has always been to have this ofbiz do this. it has never been my
>>> intent to have a seperate ofbiz. Nor am I promoting mine.
>>> my problem up to now has been acceptance and resources.
>>> I see the winds changing on acceptance and I have gotten the resources.
>>> if you note I suggest years ago to have contributor branches.
>>> Had that happened I would have contributed to it instead of create mine.
>>> I see the equivalent of contributor branch happening more like the
>>> Current Hippo branch.
>>> so if someone wants to open a branch I can just submit to, it would be
>>> faster, however i am happy to provide Jiras.
>>> so if the Jiras I put patches in are accepted then the ofbiz will work
>>> the same as the one I have.
>>> Note my first major move to accomplish this
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-3852
>>>

>>> Scott Gray sent the following on 7/9/2010 5:18 PM:

a commercial product to the part where manufacture may list many actual purchase parts that
will never be sold individually.

keep in mind that we are discussing OFBiz in this mailing list, not your derivative of it.