ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From BJ Freeman <bjf...@free-man.net>
Subject Re: News: Democrats push for new Internet sales taxes
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 01:32:36 GMT
two points:
1) the states are changing from nexus to point of delivery.
from Washington State page
Effective July 1, 2008, sales tax collection is based on the location
where the customer receives the merchandise or service.  For retailers
that ship or deliver their products this is a change in how sales tax is
determined.
2) he asked a very specific question about Taxware for 9.04.
no one by me replied.
I did a google and searched my emails from 2003 to present.
I did not find any documentation about the someone actually using Taxware.

David E Jones sent the following on 7/7/2010 9:06 AM:

> I'm not sure what it means to you that only BJ responded to your question, but if you'd
like to clarify I imagine someone will comment.

> TaxWare has been supported for a long time, but it is not used very often because it
is an expensive system and there are many alternatives. These days most people using OFBiz
get tax data from their accountant or from a subscription service and then put that into the
OFBiz TaxAuthority tables, or they use an online service instead of something complex and
messy like TaxWare that requires time-sensitive data updates on a regular basis.

> This is extremely complex stuff (and looks like it will be getting worse!), so count
on this requiring some expense and effort. In the past, for the USA anyway (it's different
for each country), a company only had to charge taxes for states, counties, and cities where
they have a "nexus". Because of that we have to support a crazy variety of tax laws, but individual
companies usually only need tax data for a few different tax authorities. If this law passes
(depending on the details) that could change a lot.

> Is OFBiz ready? Sure. OFBiz has been doing tax stuff for about 8 years now. This isn't
likely to be a whole lot different than anything done in the past, but it will increase the
expense and complexity for users of the system to either maintain far more tax data, force
subscribing to a service, or use of one of the many complete sales tax services (like TaxWare).

> How does everyone feel now about the opportunity to work part-time for a few or perhaps
hundreds of government bodies as a tax collector? Sales tax calc companies might be a good
thing to invest in, and online retailers might want to not only get calc services but also
make sure they have indemnification guarantees for when it's wrong.

> -David
>
> BTW, if you really want a question answered the mailing lists are a good start but consider
this: if you aren't willing to do the research to get an answer to your own question, why
would you expect someone else to do it for you?