ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From BJ Freeman <bjf...@free-man.net>
Subject Re: Attaching files to a product
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:23:04 GMT
first I suggest you read the Data modeling books, though content
component is not covered.
Book II has to-do with engineering.
There is a discussion on the dev list about documents in ofbiz.
Most system I have dealt with have paper drawing or Microfiche.
Look at vol II page 37 part specification and documentation.
specifically Document.
you can use the Document.imageData for scan sheets.
you can add a an new entity that is a relationship between documents and
the information in a external system or want use the content component
through dataresources.

Olivier Tremblay sent the following on 7/5/2010 12:43 PM:

=========================
BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

> Hi again!
>
> I'm looking for a way to attach pdf files (or any type of files) to a product.
>
> I wish to be able to have our engineers link plans to parts, in such a way that it would
be very simple, viewing any product, to generate a list of all the parts required to build
it, and have access to all the plans for our guys at manufacturing. It would eventually be
useful for a client wanting to change a piece, I think.

> Up to now, I have dabbled in the "Content" application, but I don't think I have done
it right. I wanted to create a new content type, called "plans" or something, and be able
to upload that extra piece of information for each product based on the new content type I
created...

> The idea is that the engineers could just attach the files themselves with no intervention
on my part whatsoever. Am I on the right track? My googling around and searching on the mailing
list didn't seem to point directly to that, and/or suggested that I couldn't just configure
it on OFBiz out of the box without messing around with the code a little bit.