ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From David E Jones <d...@me.com>
Subject Re: News: Democrats push for new Internet sales taxes
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 16:06:22 GMT

I'm not sure what it means to you that only BJ responded to your question, but if you'd like
to clarify I imagine someone will comment.

TaxWare has been supported for a long time, but it is not used very often because it is an
expensive system and there are many alternatives. These days most people using OFBiz get tax
data from their accountant or from a subscription service and then put that into the OFBiz
TaxAuthority tables, or they use an online service instead of something complex and messy
like TaxWare that requires time-sensitive data updates on a regular basis.

This is extremely complex stuff (and looks like it will be getting worse!), so count on this
requiring some expense and effort. In the past, for the USA anyway (it's different for each
country), a company only had to charge taxes for states, counties, and cities where they have
a "nexus". Because of that we have to support a crazy variety of tax laws, but individual
companies usually only need tax data for a few different tax authorities. If this law passes
(depending on the details) that could change a lot.

Is OFBiz ready? Sure. OFBiz has been doing tax stuff for about 8 years now. This isn't likely
to be a whole lot different than anything done in the past, but it will increase the expense
and complexity for users of the system to either maintain far more tax data, force subscribing
to a service, or use of one of the many complete sales tax services (like TaxWare).

How does everyone feel now about the opportunity to work part-time for a few or perhaps hundreds
of government bodies as a tax collector? Sales tax calc companies might be a good thing to
invest in, and online retailers might want to not only get calc services but also make sure
they have indemnification guarantees for when it's wrong.

-David

BTW, if you really want a question answered the mailing lists are a good start but consider
this: if you aren't willing to do the research to get an answer to your own question, why
would you expect someone else to do it for you?