ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Matt Warnock <mwarn...@ridgecrestherbals.com>
Subject Re: Production setup questions
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 04:25:16 GMT
Thanks BJ for some of the answers. But see further questions below.
--
Matt Warnock <mwarnock@ridgecrestherbals.com>
RidgeCrest Herbals, Inc.

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 17:39 -0700, BJ Freeman wrote:
> data is usually modified and put in separate files and loaded using
> run-install-extseed.
> this requires setup the files for ext in the ofbiz-component.xml

Edit the demo data using the app screens, and save using some ofbiz
command? or copy/edit the demo-data XML files? Based on what you say
later about run-install-file I assume the latter?

Do you have to configure ofbiz-component.xml separately for all
applications, or is there one central place?

> if you can access the db then
> 1)add a delegator in the entityengine xml.
> user webtools to induce the entity patterns for the new datasource.
> once you clean up the entities then you can write code to transfer data
> from one datasource to the other.
> you can look at the sync system used by pos for example.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.  I did add the delegator
in entityengine.xml to talk to the postgresql database, so now all data
is persisted there.  It automatically created the data tables, indexes
and so forth needed.

Or are you saying this is also the way to import the thousands of data
records?  If I define a datasource that is a CSV file, I then write code
to read that file and write to the party manager entities?  I assume
then that the answer to the re-import question is "only if I write it"?
I'll have a look at the POS-sync system.

> my databases are backed up nightly to another drive. I just had a main
> disk fry on me. you can schedule your backups.
> I would do a backup before attempting do update.
> also there is a upgrade page that lays out any changes.
> so changes are automatic with a run once scheduled service.

I backup nightly with pg_dumpall, but I could set up a nightly hot
backup server easily enough, or even a distributed database (hot
real-time slave) using slony or other postgresql tools.

So then there is never any need to run "ant run-install" or "ant
run-install-seed" after that first time?

> no easy way to remove demo data. Best is to export all you data though
> webtools manually clean the data then import it all.
> you can make one big file and use
> ./ant run-install-file

Thanks for that solution, I'll try that out.

> hotdeploy is what I used to add functionality as well as override some
> parts of a component. it must have webapp section to it to use this feature.
> I have a backup.sh that pulls all my mods out and mirrors them on my
> backup drive. I only have to provide the path to where to store them.
> the script also copies itself, since it can be used to put the files back.

So then the framework edits don't work this way, only top-level webapps?
Thanks for the backup script idea, I'll have to do something like that.