ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Michal Cukierman <duc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question regarding Catalog management in Ofbiz
Date Sat, 01 May 2010 19:08:41 GMT
Thank you Deyan for your post,

Actualy those are very precious sugestions. Thank you very much for that. I
am now investigating possible ways for solving my concerns, Ofbiz is one of
tools that are pretented to be the best. There is one problem regarding
creation of complex categories structure. To be more precise: In my system I
am going to import all categories structures automaticly from suppliers.
Those can differ from each other. Your solution would be great if there will
be one model to refer. I tried to use structures from automotive software
like PartEpert or AllData. Unfortunately I am unable to gather data from
those databases. What is more: different part manufactures use different
numbering schema (yes, I am PLM consultant:)). Have you found a way of
modeling your structure, is there an open database keeping all those data?
I assume that most of companies do it manualy. In my case it could be
dificult, because of automatic  import process.

The best thing would be to have a categories structure based on Parts
numbers. We would be able to find replacements, variants and uses for each
part. As far I have not found a good solution for that.

Regarding EntityListIterator, if its an implementation of Lazy loading
(fetch data 'just in time'), it could be a problem as well (1 000 000 calls
to a database is slow as well - but it will not kill my app). I see the
following solutions for solwing the problem:

1) join on rollup and Product category.
2) select product categories where parent category id is not in ( select
from rollup ).

I have not checked that as far as I don't have time for this at the moment.
Anyway, single query is the best solution. Databases are optimised for
operations like that and we should use it.

Regards,
Michał