ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Vince Clark <vcl...@globalera.com>
Subject Re: Multiple OFBiz instances running on a single machine
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:19:24 GMT
Deyan

I'm curious to know why you are running multiple instances in this way. Have you considered
virtualisation?

Vince Clark
vclark@globalera.com
(303) 493-6723

----- Original Message -----
From: "Deyan Tsvetanov" <deyan.tsvetanov@ittconsult.com>
To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 9:58:41 AM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: Multiple OFBiz instances running on a single machine

Hi again,

I'm sorry for delaying the thread, I was pretty busy the last few
days ...

It happens :)

So back to the discussion:
As I mentioned *ALL* the containers can be configured which network
interfaces to bind to: ajp ( 8009 ), http ( 8080 ), https ( 8443 ), iiop
( 2000 ). The only container that does not support this type of
configuration is the NamingContainer
( OFBIZ_HOME/framework/base/config/ofbiz-containers.xml ) .

Why is it a pain for me ? Because I am running each OFBiz instance into
a different VLAN. Why ? Because I have configured VPN access for each
VLAN. And that's not the only reason. I would really like to know that
1099 is RMI, 8009 is AJP.

The only thing that breaks my VLAN schema is the NamingContainer, which
binds to *:1099 ( all the available interfaces ).

I provided a patch which fixes that injustice and brings everything to
order.

If you don't like it and think it's useless - it's ok with me - I'll
continue using the patched version. And I'll re-apply the patch every
time I update the sources from the SVN and get a conflict. For 1 patch
it's manageable. For 10 - it's still manageable. For 100 - it's
impossible. I'll just have to switch to some other product.

But that is actually opposing the open source theory, which says
"Everybody can contribute by writing code, sharing experience, business
knowhow, ideas and etc, etc, etc".

Now if you give me a reason ( or a list of reasons ) why the feature
I've proposed should not be accepted - I'll be glad with it and I'll
forget about it forever and ever.

I agree that it's a minor priority patch for you guys.
But the priority is slightly bigger for me.

What I have done so far was:

1) Identify the problem.
2) Propose a solution.
3) Initiate a discussion
4) Hope that the solution is accepted or a better one is proposed.

Currently we're on step 3) as my solution was not accepted and a better
one was not proposed.

So - I'm eager to move to step 4). The "change the 1099 port" workaround
is definitely not a better solution :)

Cheers,
Deyan