ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Droshi <andre.vornbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migrating from Release 4.0 to Trunk 4.0
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:49:40 GMT

I believe I have understood my problem more fully. Though I'm not sure what
happened with my configurations, my other problems stemmed from the way I'm
using configurable products and the differences between how they can be used
in the release and trunk versions.

I am currently using OFBiz for an in-house inventory management system, so
the end users are technicians requesting parts through the ecommerce site.
Because of this, shipping and payment and such are only a single option and
not worried about too much. One of the other major requirements is for the
technician to fill out the equipment or location where the spare part will
be used, previously I have been using configurable items for all of my
inventory (even though they are technically finished products) and having
the technician select the "configuration" as locations or equipment pieces.
For the release version this works fine (somewhat) and allows me to at least
keep track of inventory and reorder when necessary etc.

The trunk version on the other hand seems to handle configurable products
similar to products with selectable features. In other words the
configurable product is more or less a virtual product that once the
configuration is selected generates a new product (if one doesn't already
exist) that contains all of those configurations. This presents a problem
for my work flow in that the pieces are kept track of in inventory
(locations and equipment) instead of the actual parts.

I know my situation isn't the most standard use of this, but does anyone
have any ideas that would be better for this workflow?