ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jacopo Cappellato <jacopo.cappell...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Shipping options and related questions
Date Tue, 06 May 2008 12:18:12 GMT

On May 6, 2008, at 5:07 AM, Ritz123 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand how the shipping options work in Ofbiz -
> trying to
> integrate it on the ecommerce site.
>
> Will appreciate if someone can point me to some explanation on
>
> 1. What are Ship Groups and how are they created in ecommerce app (was
> looking at checkoutshippingoptions.bsh and it always passes 0 to the
> ShippingEstimateWrapper for ship group !!)

Ship groups are groups of order items that share the same shipping
options. In the default ecommerce site the customer doesn't have the
ability to specify different ship groups, that is why you see that
code in the ecommerce application. On the other hand, in the order
manager application, you can define more than one ship groups (during
the checkout process).

> 2. Seems like currently the way shipping options work is one has to
> login
> and specify the shipping address - however most of the time, only a
> zip code
> is required to just get an initial shipping estimate before customer
> logs in
> -is there a way to do that out of the box?

I don't think we have support for this out of the box.

> 3. How are drop ship items handled? ship from should be calculated
> based on
> the supplier for each product and their contact mech

You can define the suppliers that offer drop shipment services for
their product in the SupplierProduct entity (there is a flag for
this): Catalog-->Edit Product-->Suppliers

> 4. Any other pointers understanding how shipping calculator/ shipping
> option/ shipping estimate works in general (I do not need carrier
> specific
> info).

You can  setup shipping estimate rules in the Catalog-->Store--
 >Shipping and Shipping Estimates tabs; there are many options.

Jacopo