ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From David E Jones <jone...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Subject Re: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss
Date Thu, 01 May 2008 03:09:00 GMT

Depending on what your site looks like, chances are 5 million page
views per month will not require more than one app server with the
database and a separate web server for your content all on the same
box. In fact, our normal (super rough) deployment sizing guideline is
around 1 million page hits per _day_ per app server. You should
definitely do load testing once your initial system is built to verify
things before you put a load on the production server, but this is
really a pretty tame load.

As for scaling, say you need to handle something like 1 million page
hits in an hour with a sub-second response time for all pages (except
the super-complex ones, or those were external system calls like
credit card auths are required). In that case you may want a pair of
decent database servers running in a cluster, and a 5-10 app servers
running in a cluster of their own. To scale like that you would need
multiple server groups within the cluster that replicate session data.
For example for 6 servers you might go with 3 sets of 2 server groups
in the cluster (ie each pair of servers replicates their session data
for failover purposes).

Anyway, all of this is possible, and even easy and effective using
just Tomcat. In fact, it is really Tomcat that takes care of all of
this, and it does it well.

More to the point: JBoss and WASCE don't do any better than Tomcat...
and why? Because they both use Tomcat for their servlet container!

-David