ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From David E Jones <jone...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Subject Re: What is the best approach?
Date Sun, 18 May 2008 15:56:07 GMT

BTW, I forgot to mention about virtual/variant products: these are
just another way of "organizing" the actual products from an end-user
perspective, and may be a useful tool for selecting tires (or may not
be).

If you create your tire products with standard features you could add
the virtual products later. There are even some tools in the catalog
manager to do that, ie search for products by features and create a
virtual product that groups them together. That virtual product will
have all of the standard features of the variant products associated
to it as selectable features.

On the standard versus distinguishing feature type: distinguishing
features are in effect standard features, but with the additional
constraint that they are also used to distinguish one variant from
another relative to a virtual product. In other words distinguishing
is a sub-set of standard. Features can be associated to a product with
both assoc types.

-David