ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Adrian Crum <adri...@hlmksw.com>
Subject Re: Multiple UiLabels definitions
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:49:42 GMT
The best approach to follow will be easy to see if you understand how
the UI labels system works.

The basic concept of the multiple UI label property files is this: start
off with the most generic, most often used labels, then build upon that
with application-specific labels. The CommonUiLabels.xml file contains
labels common to all components. The EcommerceUiLabels.xml file contains
labels specific to the eCommerce component. Doing things this way
reduces redundancy and it allows an application to redefine labels found
in the common (or shared) label files.

If a specific label appears in more than one property file, it is
because the label is being redefined. If you find a duplicate label that
doesn't change anything, then that is probably an oversight. The label
should be removed from the application-specific property file.

If a specific label appears in more than one property file because it is
redefining a label in a shared property file, then the best thing to do
is add the missing language to the label in the application-specific
property file.

In the EcommerceYourShoppingCartEmpty label example, it probably appears
in more than one file so that there won't be an inter-application
dependency. In other words, having that label present in
OrderUiLabels.xml eliminates the need for the Order Manager component to
load/use the ECommerceUiLabels.xml file. I'm only guessing here -
sometimes it is hard to tell what the original intention was.

The bottom line is, it is better to add translations to property files
than it is to delete labels. Deleting duplicate labels makes sense at
first glance, but problems could come up if there was a specific reason
the duplication was needed.

-Adrian