ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Christopher L <clearch...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 17:22:19 GMT

> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:31:28 -0500
> From: openforbusinessman@gmail.com
> To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
> Subject: Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions

> 3)  Is delivery involved?  What is the process flow of having drivers? -
> orders, payment, etc.
> ---I believe I'm going to a client address field, and add it to the store
> receipt and print that for the cook and delivery.

I'd also consider some way of reconciling what the drivers went out with and what they brought
back.  I haven't thought about this scenario, but the process as it stands would be ringing
up the sale (cash, cc?) receipts being printed with address info, delivery guy goes out, delivers
pizza, gets cash or cc info, comes back then puts the money in the till?

Wouldn't that mess up the nightly register reports?  I.e. how do you know at the time whether
to ring up the sale as cash or credit?  Maybe make a new payment type of "delivery"?

> 4)  What hardware makes sense for you to use?  Touchscreen?  Card swiper?
>  Receipt printer?
> ---The owner is more than willing to purchase the entire getup.  I'm going
> to find some full terminal solutions that are JPOS hardware compatible (from
> what I read, ofbiz is compatible with JPOS hardware correct?)

Ofbiz is compatible with JPOS.  There can be some driver support issues with linux, and vendors
don't necessarily confess that they use java wrapped native binaries as their JPOS drivers.

So far, I have had success with elo touchscreens and magtek msrs on linux.  My experience
with MMF cash drawers and Star printers has been somewhat mixed on linux.

> I'm lead to another question through all of this.  After quickly learning
> how to modify the POS XUI screen, I'm very happy!  Although, Jacques
> mentioned something that DemoRetail.xml isn't used with strictly seed data,
> and that you need to use your "webapps" to create some sort of DB export to
> xml for a "new - non demo" DemoRetail.xml equivalent.  I try not to pester
> dev's too much with things I can learn though reading, but I have NO clue
> how to do this, and can't find any literature.

I'm not 100% clear on what you are saying here, but I think that just means you have to enter
your own products in the database.  The products you enter into the pos must relate to products
in the DB.

> While I'm on that subject, In the /pos/config/screens/default/menu  I notice
> that the variable <Button name="{SKU, another button screen call, or
> something else}>  I realize this is the "bridge" that the POS XUI uses to
> connect to the actual products.  I've seen articles that the "Button name="
> is related to the catalog and categories.  Although I can't find out WHERE
> to find my product's ID"
> To clarify.  I have a pizza.  A large plain pizza.  It's set in my catalog
> under the pizza category.  Where can I go to find out what the "Button name"
> of that item actually is in my DB?

The button name is "sku"+productid I believe.  You have to set your products up in the db,
part of that will be assigning a productid.