ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Christopher L <clearch...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:11:18 GMT
Branden,

Make sure to click on the yellow "configurable pc" in the POS.  It allows configurable items
to be used (i.e. pizza with selectable toppings) and I it would imagine would easily suit
your purposes.

We need to get away from the "barcode centric" way that we pitch the POS.  Restaurants generally
don't use scanners.

To get a feel for what to configure, start in the pos/config and pos/screens.  Also check
the applications/accounting/payment and framework/base/config/.

I don't know how early you are in the process, but I'll give you random thoughts:

1)  Get the menu completely written down.  Figure out how best to enter in these items.
2)  Figure out how you are going to do credit card payment.  Through the pos or cc box?
3)  Is delivery involved?  What is the process flow of having drivers? - orders, payment,
etc.
4)  What hardware makes sense for you to use?  Touchscreen?  Card swiper?  Receipt printer?

Chris Lombardi

> From: jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com
> To: user@ofbiz.apache.org
> Subject: Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions
> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 07:12:50 +0100
>
> From: "Branden Strickland" <openforbusinessman@gmail.com>
> >I was excited and typed that email too fast.. I need to proof read!
> >
> > Hah!  Thanks for the input!
> > The only reason I don't see myself using the barcode is because I'm planning
> > on using this application in a pizza shop that I recently got involved in.
> > So unless I stick generic barcodes in a flip book or something, I'm not sure
> > that's feasible.  ALTHOUGH!  If I can configure the buttons in the XUI of
> > the POS to open new "windows" like the manager and promo button, then I'll
> > be ok!  (You'll have to excuse me if I use the wrong terms, I'm a system
> > admin (Linux based) with lots of experience, but this is the first time I've
> > gotten involved in something that's still mainly in the development stage.
> > It's my first time for svn and ant!
>
> Panels is the right way to do it un your case, I guess.

> > the DemoRetail.xml file.  Which is why I was confused, as even though I'm
> > using "ant  run-install-seed" It still seems to be using that file for
> > something as a last resort it seems.
>
> I will  have to check, but maybe you are true since some things in there are mandatory
for the POS to work. Also do not forget that
> the POS as it is is mostly an UI demo... THe idea is to adapt DemoRetail.xml following
your needs and load it in the DB thru a way
> or another.
>
> > One last question... Being as you can see that I'm very interested in using
> > the POS side as a start (time sheet, inventory management will be nice down
> > the road, but not for now).  Where do you suggest I start reading to get a
> > more indepth feel as to how to configure the POS XUI to start adapting it to
> > my situation?
> >Most of the readings are for the ecommerse end.  Although I
> > think this could make a great in-store POS.
>
> There is not much documentation about the POS (I guess you have already read all of them).
But it's pretty straitghforward to
> adapt/setup.
>
> > Things like: What part of the XUI configs (which I've been looking at) link
> > the button to the actual item in the one of your catalogs (or category?!)?
>
> I guess the best is (from the log KeyboardAdaptor.java:253:INFO ] Added [SKU.GZ-1001]
to KeyboardAdaptor) to look a
> KeyboardAdaptor.java:253. You should find your way beginning there, but I wonder why
you need that...

> > Thanks for any help.  I'm working on this day and night, I simply don't have
> > 3 years! HAH! Who needs sleep right?  Entrepreneurs don't sleep!
>
> Everyone sleep one day, at least after the last ;o) Philip K. Dick experienced some about
that (beware he finished mad, but he used