ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From "Jacques Le Roux" <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: POS - ProductStoreID - DemoRetail and other confusions
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 06:12:50 GMT
From: "Branden Strickland" <openforbusinessman@gmail.com>
>I was excited and typed that email too fast.. I need to proof read!
>
> Hah!  Thanks for the input!
> The only reason I don't see myself using the barcode is because I'm planning
> on using this application in a pizza shop that I recently got involved in.
> So unless I stick generic barcodes in a flip book or something, I'm not sure
> that's feasible.  ALTHOUGH!  If I can configure the buttons in the XUI of
> the POS to open new "windows" like the manager and promo button, then I'll
> be ok!  (You'll have to excuse me if I use the wrong terms, I'm a system
> admin (Linux based) with lots of experience, but this is the first time I've
> gotten involved in something that's still mainly in the development stage.
> It's my first time for svn and ant!

Panels is the right way to do it un your case, I guess.

>>>Which file ?
> the DemoRetail.xml file.  Which is why I was confused, as even though I'm
> using "ant  run-install-seed" It still seems to be using that file for
> something as a last resort it seems.

I will  have to check, but maybe you are true since some things in there are mandatory for
the POS to work. Also do not forget that
the POS as it is is mostly an UI demo... THe idea is to adapt DemoRetail.xml following your
needs and load it in the DB thru a way
or another.

> One last question... Being as you can see that I'm very interested in using
> the POS side as a start (time sheet, inventory management will be nice down
> the road, but not for now).  Where do you suggest I start reading to get a
> more indepth feel as to how to configure the POS XUI to start adapting it to
> my situation?
>Most of the readings are for the ecommerse end.  Although I
> think this could make a great in-store POS.

There is not much documentation about the POS (I guess you have already read all of them).
But it's pretty straitghforward to
adapt/setup.

> Things like: What part of the XUI configs (which I've been looking at) link
> the button to the actual item in the one of your catalogs (or category?!)?

I guess the best is (from the log KeyboardAdaptor.java:253:INFO ] Added [SKU.GZ-1001] to KeyboardAdaptor)
to look a
KeyboardAdaptor.java:253. You should find your way beginning there, but I wonder why you need
that...

> Thanks for any help.  I'm working on this day and night, I simply don't have
> 3 years! HAH! Who needs sleep right?  Entrepreneurs don't sleep!

Everyone sleep one day, at least after the last ;o) Philip K. Dick experienced some about
that (beware he finished mad, but he used
much more than stiff drinks)

Jacques