ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Ian McNulty <...@mcnultymedia.co.uk>
Subject Re: Migration of Manager Ref PDFs to Wiki Format
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:17:53 GMT
Hi Scott,

Your message arrived at last! Many thanks.

Yes it was very laborious work. Getting on for a hundred hours in total
if you include finding the right software for the conversion,
researching the extent of the currently existing fragments in the Wiki,
learning the Wiki markup etc. And not great for the RSI in my mouse arm
either. A dirty job, but somebody had to to it ;)

I really am a bit reluctant to comment any more than I already have on
the current content of the docs. As far as I understand it, they were
written by a professional technical writer (which I certainly am not)
and cost something like $40,000 to produce, so they are of considerable
value as they stand. I treated them as such, and made every effort not
to drop even one single word.

As for developing them further, I'm afraid this is way out of my league.
Two months after installing OFBiz, I still don't feel confident I know
how to work it myself, let alone teach anybody else.

I originally started translating the PDFs into editable format with the
aim of re-jigging them into something that I or any of my clients might
be able to use. But after more than a week's work I eventually had to
admit defeat and decided simply to translate them as they stood in the
hope that others might succeed where I had failed. So any further
development of this material really would need to be done by anybody
else except me.

I appreciate your offer of help in answering any questions I might have,
but there are so many that answering them all would probably mean having
to write an entire User's Manual yourself, which would kindof defeat the
purpose of the exercise!

That said, your thanks are appreciated. I just hope that these docs can
now be developed into something useful and that I have been able to make
some kind of contribution towards the further development of the OFBiz
end-user community.

Best,

Ian