ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Ian McNulty <...@mcnultymedia.co.uk>
Subject Re: ComputerWorld Article, Mentions OFBiz
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 07:11:23 GMT
David,

I'm getting really confused here.

David E. Jones wrote:
> Having a large OOTB end-user community would certainly benefit the
> project, in really major ways too. The problem is that the current
> contributing community does not have sufficient resources to create
> and maintain what would be needed to satisfy this sort of user.

It is generally accepted that one of the main things all OOTB end-users
need is accessible end-user documentation.

In OFBiz End-User Documentation >  OFBiz End User Docs Home > Areas
Being Worked On, David E. Jones wrote:

> There is a lot of work to be done on editing and structuring and
> reformatting the OFBiz documentation. In short, we need your help!
>
> You can find the PDF exports from the Undersun end-user documentation
> site here
> <http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBENDUSER/Undersun+Doc+Site+PDF+Exports>.

As far as I can tell, half-completed fragments of various attempts to
translate the Manager Reference PDFs are currently scattered over at
least 6 other locations in the Wiki (for details see my comments at
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBENDUSER/Areas+Being+Worked+On ). There
can be no doubt that most end-users will find this very confusing and
frustrating indeed.

To help address the problem of the lack of resources in the current
contributing community, I decided to commit a considerable amount of my
own time to answering David's request for help by translating all 12 of
the Manager References in their entirety to Wiki format in one location.

This work has now been completed. I was not given access to the end User
Docs space so have put them in my personal Confluence space at
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/~ian@mcnultymedia.co.uk/Manager+References

I posted news of this on the ML on the 3 March with a request that they
might now be transferred out of my to the End User Docs space - but had
absolutely no response whatsoever!

I reposted this request under a new thread again on the 5 March - and
had absolutely no response again!

I understand that most of the core team is currently engaged in the
Developer's Hackathon in Ephraim. But they are still posting here on a
raft of other issues. What am I to make of what would appear to be their
complete lack of interest in this one?

BTW. Just to be clear on this, I am not looking for any thanks or
brownie points or engaging in any other kind of attention seeking
whatsoever. I understand that other members of this community have
committed considerably more to this project than I have and that my
contribution is very minor in comparison.

What I am looking for is:

1) some kind of acknowledgement that the translated Manager Reference
PDFs can, at some time in the future, be transferred to a more public
section of the Wiki where they can be more easily accessed by end-users
and further amended and developed by those more qualified than myself

2) some kind of solution to the cloud of confusion currently existing in
the user documentation, with half-completed fragments of various
attempts to translate the Manager Reference PDFs currently scattered
over at least 6 other locations in the Wiki.

How unreasonable a request is that?

Ian