ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jonathon -- Improov <j...@improov.com>
Subject Re: ComputerWorld Article, Mentions OFBiz
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:56:27 GMT
Hi Shi Jinghai,

Yes, time will tell. Over the history of open source projects, there's been many forks that

supersede other "less favored" ones. Natural selection.

Time doesn't wait for anyone. I can create the best open source ERP in the world today, and
still
get superseded later on.

Actually, you don't need to "hear" about OFBiz to know what it really is. OFBiz is open source.

You know what it really is just by reading the source codes (plus the SVN commit logs).

Glad you're keeping your mind and eyes open. :) As always, "see for yourself", don't just
take
anybody's word for it.

As for Jacopo's comment, the topic he may have forgotten was about "services division", a
very
pertinent factor in both open source and commercial projects. As for Jacopo's comments about
"I
really don't think that David ever said something like this", we'll have to ask David himself
(and
also look at past posts on the ML). I could have remembered wrong.

As for Jacopo's comment "I've noticed the bad habit to attempt to attract David", I don't

particularly see this habit being rampant among posters (again, look through past posts),
so this
ML is clean and lean enough. There are some outright inflammatory posts/posters, but those
are
rare, and please understand personalities and language barriers in play here. But I do admit,
see some rare posts directed at David to elicit very philosophical responses, though I can't
say
those philosophical discussions are unnecessary since I don't understand/read quite a bit
of those
myself. I also see David trying to "contain" certain wrong/hasty directions in OFBiz development;

those would certainly "attract David". IMHO, David seems to be becoming a stronger "benevolent

dictator" (more free time now? terminology related to some past posts) for OFBiz, which is
great
for OFBiz.

As usual, to cut the discussion short and clean, I'll not respond to this thread anymore.
I just
wanted to mention that it's good you're "seeing for yourself" over time. That's what we should
all
do, including/especially OFBiz core team, be objective. Though "the people" do make "the project",

it's often useful to look to the leader in predicting future directions than to look to the

members (like myself!).

Time will tell, and I'm placing my bets on OFBiz for now.

 >> As a general rule, never try to restate what you think that other said, just
 >> express your thoughts (if they are of interest for the project)

Jacopo is right here. But more specifically, we should not assume or second-guess intent of

posters; quoting other posters in order to respond to them is more grounded and less risky.

Jonathon