ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From Jonathon -- Improov <j...@improov.com>
Subject Re: ComputerWorld Article, Mentions OFBiz
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 01:57:28 GMT
David (Jones),

What about those open source projects that are polished for OOTB convenience and experience?
Even
Apache (httpd) and Tomcat (both under Apache Licence 2.0?) have better OOTB "operational
readiness" than OFBiz. Ie, they work well OOTB and they have very good and widely published
docs
to further fuel explosive rate of community development. (I understand you believe that approach

won't benefit OFBiz; I don't know so I can't say.)

I still maintain that there are 2 sections to OFBiz --- core and ERP. And I'd say the core

certainly works very well OOTB (like Springs, Freemarker, Apache, Tomcat, Mantis, PHP, etc).

Maybe we make that clear to new users?

Imagine if Tomcat was advertised as a shopping cart software, and the shopping cart software
built
on top of the webserver was incomplete (or "almost ready to fly, but not quite"). There'd
be
complaints, even though Tomcat is really a solid webserver and not a shopping cart.

But of course, I understand you may want OFBiz to stand for an ERP solution, not just an entity

engine (which as many had said is the "jewel in the crown"). I think if you work at things
the way
you do now, we'd probably have a solid ERP solution in a few years' time.

There are "services divisions" for open source projects. That's the community itself! Nobody
would
pick up an open source project for use or solutioning if it lacks this "services division".
In
many companys' open source adoption policies, wide adoption aka community support aka "services

division" is the TOP concern. This "services division" counterpart in open source projects
is what
gives them the decided edge over commercial projects with paid and comparatively limited (not

world-wide and free flow) REAL services division.

I don't know if the ML knows this, but the ML is often the first channel to be watched in

assessing the project's "services division". The quality and demographics (techie to hobbyist

spectrum) of the "services division" makes or breaks the open source projects.

But still, I do admit it probably makes more sense (and cents) to advertise "My ERP consulting

company" rather than advertise OFBiz itself. I'd say I'd have more success promoting "My ERP

consulting company" than OFBiz, as things are now. OFBiz core is a solid product, and that's
not ERP.

By the way, I'm getting real good at taking apart my RC helicopter. The major diff between
RC
helicopters and RC planes is that helicopters need major calibration (more moving parts).
So, what
is advertised as "Ready-To-Fly (RTF)" for helicopters really means "Almost-Ready-to-Fly (ARF)"

(one notch down). More people buy planes than helicopters; those who give up on helicopters
(steep
learning curve) just go for planes or cars thereafter.

I like OFBiz. :)

Jonathon