ofbiz-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "David E. Jones" <jone...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Subject Re: Problem in Virtual products
Date Sat, 03 Feb 2007 08:15:57 GMT

On Feb 2, 2007, at 2:58 AM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> David,
>
> As I understand from Jacques issue descriptions:
>
> 1. Price set for Virtual product in USD
> 2. Price set for related Variant product in EUR
> 3. Price for Variant is not used at all.

No. The price stuff will look for prices according to the currency  
set on the ProductStore.

-David


> If that's the case, it is a bug.
>
> I haven't tested this out.
>
> Jacques, is the above correct?
>
> Jonathon
>
> David E. Jones wrote:
>> I don't see any problem here.
>> The code looks for price information on the product. If no price  
>> information for a certain type, currency, etc is not found and the  
>> product is a variant it will find the corresponding virtual  
>> product and look for the price information there.
>> What else could/would it do?
>> What is the bug here?
>> -David
>> On Feb 1, 2007, at 12:50 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>> Finally, I want to make an abstract of what I understand :
>>>
>>> Variants herit prices from virtual.
>>> Variants may override prices from virtual, hence have different  
>>> currencies than virtual.
>>> But this last functionnality (regarding currency at least) is not  
>>> working yet.
>>>
>>> Is that correct ? If yes, I will open a Jira issue for this  
>>> peculiar case where I will propose to restrict currency in  
>>> variants to
>>> virtual's, for the moment.
>>> Of course I understand that in a perfect world we should support  
>>> different currencies for different variants. But I guess this can
>>> wait... Because I'm only reasoning at the businness level for the  
>>> moment. And I guess at the technological level things may be less
>>> clear.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your attention
>>>
>>> Jacques
>>>
>>>> Jonathon,
>>>>
>>>>> Jacques,
>>>>>
>>>>>> I was asking myself, in a principe of reality, if we should  
>>>>>> not, for the
>>>>>> moment, restrict variants currencies to their virtual's.
>>>>>
>>>>> Agreed. This will tie up that "loose end". Rather than having  
>>>>> "undefined behavior" (for multiple
>>>>> currencies), we should at least let users know that their  
>>>>> virtual products' currencies count and
>>>>> the related variants' don't. Or better yet, prevent users from  
>>>>> using a different currency for
>>>>> variants.
>>>>
>>>> Later was what I was suggesting. it's easy to do, in one word :  
>>>> pragmatic ! I think I will create at least a Jira  issue for this
>>> if
>>>> nobody disagree (with strong arguments ;o)
>>>>
>>>>>>> A sticky issue: which currency/price takes precedence,  
>>>>>>> variant or virtual?
>>>>>>> I'd say variant prices should override virtual.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yes variants should override. But has this a sense ? Because  
>>>>>> virtuals are
>>>>>> never used as product, they are abstract (in Oriented Object  
>>>>>> sense). So I
>>>>>> wonder if having a currency different for virtual and variants  
>>>>>> have a
>>>>>> sense. Having variants with different currencies is another  
>>>>>> problem...
>>>>>
>>>>> Hmm. In OO sense, it doesn't make sense that virtuals have a  
>>>>> price even.
>>>>
>>>> Yes true, but difficult to manage because product UI is  
>>>> generalised and morevover because of your point below.
>>>>
>>>>> However, in
>>>>> user-interface sense, users would want to have a "standard  
>>>>> price" set for all variants, for ease
>>>>> of use if for nothing else.
>>>>> Hence, I can see why some users might want to tie currency/ 
>>>>> price to virtuals.
>>>>
>>>> Yes true, OO heritage ;o). So remains the case of different  
>>>> currencies for different variants. But is that realistic (this is a
>>> real
>>>> question for real people) ?
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Well, at least we share/discuss what we know so that others can  
>>>>> grab our info and enhance OFBiz,
>>>>> though we ourselves have no time to fix this issue. :P
>>>>
>>>> We may hope so, but I would prefer to do job because else I will  
>>>> wait for sure. I just want to know if nobody see drawbacks in
>>>> arguments above, or have better ideas  ?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks
>>>>
>>>> Jacques
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Jonathon
>>>>>
>>>>> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>>>>> Jonathon,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> From: "Jonathon -- Improov" <jonw@improov.com>
>>>>>>> I think David's point about supporting multiple currencies is
 
>>>>>>> valid, ie OFBiz should operate that
>>>>>>> way. It'll be nice to be able to use different currencies for
 
>>>>>>> different variants (eg. some sold in
>>>>>>> some countries but not in others).
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yes I totally agree.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> However, I strongly suspect that's not exactly how it works now.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I agree too. Yes for the moment people wanting to deal with  
>>>>>> multiple currencies create a store by currency, I guess.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Let me know if anyone needs me to
>>>>>>> help in research; my current project doesn't handle more than
 
>>>>>>> 1 currency... yet.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I would create a Jira issue for this. This is not a priority  
>>>>>> for me either. And I suspect that it may be a large task to do.
>>> So
>>>>>> that's why I was asking myself, in a principe of reality, if  
>>>>>> we should not, for the moment, restrict variants currencies to
>>>> their
>>>>>> virtual's.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> A sticky issue: which currency/price takes precedence,  
>>>>>>> variant or virtual? I'd say variant prices
>>>>>>> should override virtual.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Yes variants should override. But has this a sense ? Because  
>>>>>> virtuals are never used as product, they are abstract (in
>>> Oriented
>>>>>> Object sense). So I wonder if having a currency different for  
>>>>>> virtual and variants have a sense. Having variants with
>>> different
>>>>>> currencies is another problem...
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks for your thoughts
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Jacques
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Jonathon
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>>>>>>> Do you mean that it should work like I tried to use it or
 
>>>>>>>> that we should make it work, or  ?
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Jacques
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>>>>>>> From: "David E. Jones" <jonesde@hotwaxmedia.com>
>>>>>>>> To: <user@ofbiz.apache.org>
>>>>>>>> Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:45 PM
>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: Problem in Virtual products
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> The point is to support prices in multiple currencies
 
>>>>>>>>> simultaneously...
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> -David
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Jan 31, 2007, at 1:41 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Finally after my apologies I thought a bit about
this.  
>>>>>>>>>> Should we
>>>>>>>>>> not restrict variants currency to the one set in
virtual ?  
>>>>>>>>>> Because
>>>>>>>>>> even if someone set variants prices to another currency
it  
>>>>>>>>>> will not
>>>>>>>>>> be used. And this can fool an user as I have been.
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> What do you think ?
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Jacques
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Sorry,
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> I used euro and not dollar for variant prices.
So yes,  
>>>>>>>>>>> you are
>>>>>>>>>>> right Jacopo and sorry
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Jacques
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>>>>>>>>>> From: "Jacques Le Roux" <jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com>
>>>>>>>>>>> To: <user@ofbiz.apache.org>
>>>>>>>>>>> Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 5:02 PM
>>>>>>>>>>> Subject: Re: Problem in Virtual products
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Jacopo,
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <tiz@sastau.it>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vamsi
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> When I am selecting configuration
it is not showing the
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> product price with
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> configuration.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AFAIK there are no specific prices
for variants. If  
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> you set a
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> price for a variants this will have
no effect. The  
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> price set
>>>>>>>>>> for
>>>>>>>>>>>> the
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> virtual product will be used.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> I'm pretty sure that the variant price
is used if set,  
>>>>>>>>>>>>> it will
>>>>>>>>>>>>> appear as
>>>>>>>>>>>>> soon as you add the variant to the cart.
>>>>>>>>>>>> I tested it before by creating a default
price for  
>>>>>>>>>>>> WG-9943-B3 and
>>>>>>>>>>>> it was not applied but the virtual price
was applied.  
>>>>>>>>>>>> BTW the
>>>>>>>>>>>> virtual had also Competitive and List Prices.
So I just  
>>>>>>>>>>>> tested by
>>>>>>>>>>>> adding Competitive and List Prices to the
variant  
>>>>>>>>>>>> WG-9943-B3
>>>>>>>>>>> same
>>>>>>>>>>>> result.
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Am'I missing something here, promotions,
prices rules ?
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Jacques
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jacopo
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>


Mime
View raw message