ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From David E Jones <jone...@undersunconsulting.com>
Subject Re: service engine bug with rollback?
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 18:04:33 GMT

The best solution is probably to improve the behavior of the
calcShipmentEstimate service so that it doesn't return error if there
are no shipment estimates. It sounds like what you're saying is that
having no shipment estimates isn't really an error condition, which I
totally agree with so this service should not be returning an error
in that case.

-David

On Oct 24, 2006, at 5:52 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> David,
>
> I think that is the problem I'm noticing.  There is a
> calcShipmentEstimate service which returns an error if no shipment
> estimates can be found, and it crashes the entire update order item
> service when you try to modify orders.  I think it should probably
> be returning a fail instead?
>
> On Oct 22, 2006, at 9:06 PM, David E Jones wrote:
>

>> Si,
>>
>> To narrow down where the rollback only flag is actually set you
>> should be able to see a stack trace for that in the logs. It may
>> be in the service engine code, but the entity engine also does
>> this sort of thing in certain cases.
>>
>> What you're describing sounds like very normal behavior though. If
>> there is an error, then the transaction should be rolled back, or
>> if the code didn't begin the transaction then it should be marked
>> rollback only.
>>
>> Not doing things that way would cause an awful lot of problems....
>>
>> What is it you are trying to do that would not follow this pattern?
>>
>> You would almost never want something to ignore errors and commit
>> anyway. If you want to have certain things committed or rolled
>> back independent of other things, they should go in a separate
>> service that has require-new-transaction=true.
>>
>> If you have a service that doesn't do database operations but
>> might return success or failure, then have it return fail instead
>> of error.
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Oct 20, 2006, at 7:45 PM, Si Chen wrote:
>>
>>> David,
>>>
>>> It is a setRollBackOnly, kind of like this:
>>> 20 Oct 06 18:42:55[    TransactionUtil.java:247:INFO ]
>>> [TransactionUtil.setRollbackOnly] transaction roll back only set
>>> 20 Oct 06 18:42:55[  ServiceDispatcher.java:381:ERROR]
>>> ---- exception report
>>> Could not commit transaction
>>> Exception: org.ofbiz.entity.transaction.GenericTransactionException
>>> Message: Roll back error, could not commit transaction, was
>>> rolled back instead (null)
>>> ---- stack trace
>>> org.ofbiz.entity.transaction.GenericTransactionException: Roll
>>> back error, could not commit transaction, was rolled back instead
>>> (null)
>>> org.ofbiz.entity.transaction.TransactionUtil.commit
>>> (TransactionUtil.java:177)
>>> org.ofbiz.entity.transaction.TransactionUtil.commit
>>> (TransactionUtil.java:152)
>>>
>>> However, then the service which is catching it will also throw a
>>> service exception:
>>> Service [xxx] threw an unexpected exception/error
>>> Exception: org.ofbiz.service.GenericServiceException
>>> Message: Commit transaction failed
>>> ---- stack trace
>>> org.ofbiz.service.GenericServiceException: Commit transaction failed
>>> org.ofbiz.service.ServiceDispatcher.runSync
>>> (ServiceDispatcher.java:382)
>>> org.ofbiz.service.ServiceDispatcher.runSync
>>> (ServiceDispatcher.java:194)
>>> org.ofbiz.service.GenericDispatcher.runSync