ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From David E Jones <jone...@undersunconsulting.com>
Subject Re: why is mysql default character set latin1?
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 07:46:57 GMT

With MySQL 4.1X using UTF-8 really messed up the column sizes because
it stores each UTF-8 character as 3 bytes (why not 2 I don't
know...). In other words, if you had a varchar of length 60 and put
in a 21 character UTF-8 string, it will overflow...

I don't know if this is still an issue with the 5 series of MySQL.

-David