ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From David E Jones <jone...@undersunconsulting.com>
Subject Re: DATA IMPORT
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:19:44 GMT

Data mapping always seems to end up being far more complicated than
it appears at the start. That may be what people have been referring
to as the difficult part of this...

Tools can sometimes help with this, but only so much.

If you are exported to flat files then the tool you'll want to use in
OFBiz to read in that data is the Datafile tool, which can read flat
files into generic structures, and right them out again from the same
generic structures. The flat file format and fields definitions and
such are specified using XML files which makes code based on it more
flexible and easier to work with as understanding, and perhaps
requirements, change. With this you can write Java code to map the
incoming data from DataFile objects to GenericValue objects that the
Entity Engine can then drop into the database for you. You might want
to consider using a scripting language (BeanShell is well supported
in OFBiz) to make this a little easier to write/test/change/test/etc.

-David