ofbiz-user mailing list archives

From David E Jones <jone...@undersunconsulting.com>
Subject Re: Product - Multiple Part Price
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:18:32 GMT

David,

Just like with the last question there are various ways of doing
this, but it is a very complex problem. If you really are doing phone
line sales and such you should get some help as I know from
experience working with a large telco that the business rules get
very difficult around this stuff.

The two ways I've seen tried for this are to extend the Configurable
Product, or to create a custom UI for each product and have it manage
groups of products in the shopping cart for the customer. In other
words, the customer can't just manipulate the cart by adding and
removing products, they just use the UI for directed cart
interactions, and have a custom view of the cart as well.

 From my experience the first seems nice at first, but business rules
change really unpleasantly and modeling everything in order to get
the user experience you want in a data driven way is impossible given
the inherent uncertainty (or rather, certainty of change...).

So, I'd highly recommend the second approach.

-David J.