ofbiz-notifications mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Taher Alkhateeb (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (OFBIZ-7783) External library files are not in the OFBiz folder structure.
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2016 17:19:20 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7783?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15431217#comment-15431217
] 

Taher Alkhateeb commented on OFBIZ-7783:
----------------------------------------

Hi Jacques,

I suggest to revert it anyway because it needs to be discussed in some detail. We communicated
in the past and I made clear objections on adding it. You replied back saying you need it
for OWASP where I replied back with a suggestion to use the gradle plugin instead OFBIZ-7930

As for the complexity part, and as I mentioned in other discussions (shortcut tasks, etc ...)
this adds problems and complexity in multiple ways:

- First, it is inefficient and utilizes disk space needlessly.
- If we change anything in the gradle projects structure (move some dependencies down to sub-projects
in the future for example, which might be needed for the plugin API not sure) then the task
crashes and needs to be updated. So this adds to the brittleness because now you can't chop
the system into sub projects without complex logic to combine all the dependencies.
- It adds another task, which might seem innocent, but then our build.xml was extremely complex
and ant -p did not help a lot because there were so many tasks that it hurts more than helps.
This is a classic example of "scope creep". Keep adding unnecessary and minor things which
bloats your code base.
- Even the way it was written has problems, it does not, for example, belong to the ofbizServer
group, instead it more properly belongs to sysadminGroup, which makes it confusing
- Also, about your point above where some servers do not have internet access, why would you
then copy the runtime libs and not everything? Copying runtime only means you only need a
deployment and not building or QA work.
- Creating a LAN repository does not get implemented like that! instead you change the repository
definition, it's in a completely different place

Those are some of the reasons why I suggest to revert and come up with a proper solution if
needed.

> External library files are not in the OFBiz folder structure.
> -------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: OFBIZ-7783
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-7783
>             Project: OFBiz
>          Issue Type: Sub-task
>          Components: ALL COMPONENTS
>            Reporter: Pierre Smits
>            Assignee: Jacques Le Roux
>            Priority: Minor
>             Fix For: Upcoming Branch
>
>
> With the implementation of the external library download feature of gradle/gradlew, the
external libraries (jar files) are not in the folder structure any more. 
> They should reside there, like before.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.3.4#6332)

Mime
View raw message