ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Shi Jinghai <huaru...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Should we keep the multi-tenants feature in OFBiz?
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2018 12:49:50 GMT
Hi Jacques,

Honestly I was shocked by this email, I'm working on deploying OFBiz in Kubernetes, are you
monitoring me?

In 2010, Kubernetes was quite new and not good enough, now it's the standard on cloud deploy
management, and we can support it.

Before doing that, we have to answer some common questions in cloud running lifecycle, such
as how may instances/requests can share one CPU, how to deliver(create) an instance, how to
isolate an instance, how to offline, how to remove, how to online again and etc.

Personally I don't think we have to remove current multi-tenants implements, add a SAAS implement
would be OK.

Kind Regards,

Shi Jinghai

-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Jacques Le Roux [mailto:jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com]
发送时间: 2018年8月29日 17:46
收件人: dev@ofbiz.apache.org
主题: Should we keep the multi-tenants feature in OFBiz?

Hi,

The multi-tenants feature in OFBiz only allows a dozens or maybe even few hundreds tenants,
after it begin to be a lot of DBs!
I faced that with a startup which wanted to handle thousands, if not millions (actually they
failed), of tenants, obviously OFBiz can't do that.

I don't break any secret to say that I was working with David (and Andrew) on a project in
2010 when David had to quickly answer to the client's
demand who wanted to have tenants. David brilliantly and quickly delivered, but it was only
a start.

After many improvements, this feature still have some issues

Also this is somehow related

And most importantly

I recently read this article

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/architecture-constraints-end-multi-tenancy-gregor-hohpe/

and, after my experiences with multi-tenant as is in OFBiz, it made me wonder if we should
not think about how it's done now in OFBiz in 2018 with the
clouds being everywhere!

Before sending this email, I quickly exchanged with David about how Moqui handles that now.
And we are on the same page, see

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/4640689/4640689-6180851287941201924

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41952818/does-moqui-framework-2-0-still-support-mutli-tenency?rq=1
[1]

[1] Initially David gave me this link

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/multi-instance-moqui-docker-david-e-jones/

but it seems LinkedIn has lost it, as said in the stackoverflow comment.

So IMO why not deprecating the multi-tenants as is now and rather push a multi-instances way?

Opinions?

Jacques