ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Brohl <michael.br...@ecomify.de>
Subject Re: OFBiz Version Info
Date Wed, 29 Nov 2017 06:57:06 GMT
-1 for storing the version in .properties.

+1 for using a VERSION or RELEASE file in the root folder to store this
information.

It's easily accessible, you cannot overlook it and the content can be
read by any functionality. It can also be automatically set by (custom)
builds to be generated.

I think it might be a good idea to just render the version in the
applications header or footer template as a HTML comment. Then it is
viewable by anyone even if there is no access to the source. This should
be made configurable in general.properties to prevent to show it if the
user does not want this.

Thanks and regards,

Michael

Am 29.11.17 um 07:38 schrieb Taher Alkhateeb:
> Hi James,
>
> The purpose of Config.java is to configure critical server settings at
> startup such as log location, admin settings, etc. These settings could be
> also used in test.properties and load-data.properties and all such
> properties get a default value if not set.
>
> OFBiz version by definition is not a startup parameter. It is not something
> you need to set so that the system works correctly. It's only a piece of
> information. That is why I suggested that it might not be a good fit for
> start.properties and Config.java. It's also hard for users to find the
> version if it is hidden somewhere like that. And given the nature of
> verbose logging in OFBiz I suspect that it might not be very useful to spit
> out OFBiz version in the logs because it will be lost in the mix.
>
> So if I may suggest maybe there are a few alternatives that could work like:
> - adding it to another properties file like general.properties (although
> still a bit hidden yet more related than start.properties)
> - adding it to the UiLabelMap and putting it in the footer of the system
> - putting it in a VERSION file or README.md as originally suggested
>
> I'm sure you can also come up with good ideas to that end, I'm just
> thinking quickly of alternatives that might fit.
>
> On Nov 29, 2017 2:30 AM, "James Yong" <jamesyong@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Taher,
>
> The reason of putting released version (e.g. 16.11.03) in start.properties
> file is because the start program is already reading that file and that
> info will be included in the startup message. Printing released version to
> the console is in line with what other applications, like Tomcat, have been
> doing.
>
> I haven't check how the start program will read the VERSION file but I have
> no issue with this approach and we can further discuss how it can be done.
>
> Regards,
> James Yong
>
> On 2017-11-29 02:51, Taher Alkhateeb <slidingfilaments@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> I'm not sure of the purpose of doing all of that? start.properties is
>> a file to feed into Config.java which in turn configures the startup
>> settings of OFBiz. The version has nothing with the startup code so it
>> seems like an improper place to put the property and maybe it might
>> confuse users.
>>
>> Also, why go through all this logic? why not simply create a VERSION
>> file and place the version in it? Much simpler and easier if all you
>> need is a version reference. Unless you want to introduce some logic?
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM, James Yong <jamesyong@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> If there is no further discusson, I will create a JIRA issue later to
>>> 1) add an ofbiz.version key in start.properties file; and
>>> 2) have the ofbiz.version key value included in the startup message.

> [...]
it can be a
> tiresome task
like to share
> another