ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Taher Alkhateeb <slidingfilame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Improving the OFBiz User Interface
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2017 18:53:03 GMT
I agree with Michael, baby steps for the win. I propose we perhaps
just postpone "big ideas" for now and focus on things that can get
results quickly to put life back into this initiative. Maybe next
actions could be the following:

- Create a base theme
- Move all artifacts from framework/images to the base theme (jquery,
bootstrap or whatever already exists) and do the rewiring. Also look
for any web artifacts anywhere and move them to the base theme.
Essentially, remove any thing that is web-based and centralize it in
the theme.
- Create an implementation theme on top of the base theme

Once the above is done, then we can have a discussion of what to do
next. There are _many_ ideas, but I will restrain myself this time
until we get some action first :)

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Jacques Le Roux
<jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com> wrote:
> [...]
>

>> I digged a little deeper into the UI stuff, templates and theming and have
>> to correct my summary a bit: I mentioned AngularJS and Bootstrap on the same
>> level which is like comparing apples and oranges. AngularJS is a client-side
>> JavaScript framework to build single page applications, icluding his own
>> model-view-controller mechanism while Bootsrap is a CSS framework which
>> provides comprehensive UI elements in a structured way.
>>
>> I guess that the use of Angular would need a whole lot more changes in
>> OFBiz than the use of Bootstrap.
>>
>> So I tend to think that we have to agree on a CSS framework like Bootstrap
>> and rewrite the UI to use the proper CSS classes for this framework. That
>> would possibly reduce the complexity and makes this statement of mine
>> obsolete:
>>
>> > - we will need a new approach to be able to "plug in" different UI
>> > frameworks. We'll need a UI layer who represents the screen contents in an
>> > abstracted way (possbly an enhanced Freemarker macro library) and make it
>> > possible to generate HTML code with the right css attributes for the target
>> > library.
>>
>> It's maybe too ambitious wanting OFBiz to be able to be used with
>> different frameworks. The Bootstrap CSS world is well documented [1] and
>> there are a lot of really good looking and functional free templates out
>> there. So if we provide the UI code for it, together with one basic theme,
>> users can put their own themes on top of it.
>>
>> Maybe this is a way to come to a competitive UI in a relative short amount
>> of time. I don't think that we can afford to make this a year-long project.
>>
>> What do others think?
>

> I agree that using Bootstrap would be a good thing. An alternative is
> Foundation https://www.keycdn.com/blog/bootstrap-vs-foundation, this could
> be possibly discussed.
> That's what ilscipio has used, with some success at the UI level I'd say
> (they now tend to lean to Foundation). Now they derived from OFBiz at other
> technology levels (no or less form widgets but more FTL macros, even an API
> of FTL macros). So I'd try to compare the rest...
>
> I'd also let Angular out of the picture. Some prefer React (initially from
> FB) and I wonder what those who have used Angular 1 think about Angular 2! I
> also remember another Google "attempt": GWT. Are there still people using it
> with OFBiz? I guess you get my point, trends pass and tools with them...
>
> Jacques
>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Michael Brohl
>> ecomify GmbH
>> www.ecomify.de
>>
>> [1] https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/bootstrap_ref_all_classes.asp
>>

>> Am 03.07.17 um 15:00 schrieb James Yong:
>>>
>>> Hi Michael and all,
>>>
>>> We can look into JSF 2.2 as a possible candidate. It is similar to OFBiz
>>> Widget and seems to fit the new requirements described so far in this

ERP.