ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Malin <nicolas.ma...@nereide.fr>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Defining an OFBiz Project Strategy
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2016 21:03:23 GMT
Hi all,

Le 28/11/2016 à 22:43, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
> Hi Sharan,
>
> Thank you for starting this important topic. OFBiz definitely needs
> strategic objectives and a sense of direction. To try to formulate a
> strategy, I would suggest perhaps we highlight where I think OFBiz delivers
> value and where it does not, and based on that provide a few suggestions on
> moving forward.
>
> OFBiz main value proposition
> - A very robust domain model based on the data model resource book.
> - A library of services to control and manipulate the data model.
> - A DSL that hides and abstracts away the complexity of everything
> (services, entities, widgets, routing, etc...) and makes it easy for
> adopters to provide value quickly.
> - A business automation suite.
Agree nothing to add
> What OFBiz is not (yet?)
> ------------------------------------
> Currently OFBiz may provide some of the below, but it is not the main value
> proposition.
>
> - A web framework
> - A general purpose programming environment
> - An ERP system ready for immediate use by business owners (not geared for
> end-users)
Yes the best hunting area for OFBiz is create a business application
quickly but permanently. So we don't need to focus on your different
point because too many project work as well on each of them
Our strong is on the business automation suite : coherence on each
element to realize business application not to create a business
application.

> Where should we focus?
> -----------------------------------
> If you agree with the above assessment on OFBiz's value proposition, then I
> think we need to focus our limited resources and efforts and utilize the
> help of the community where it provides the highest value for effort. To
> start this discussion I suggest the list of below strategic objectives to
> try and move forward over the next 1-2 years at which time we can review
> and amend the strategy:
>
> - UI redesign: I think the user interface is one of the weakest points in
> our project and is probably the most critical item for adoption because at
> the end this is what people _see_. Having non-technical people download
> OFBiz, fire it up and start using it immediately without the intervention
> of a consultant or a developer is key to bigger adoption. Bigger adoption
> in turn leads to a more thriving community and business built around OFBiz.
> Hence we need a fully redesigned user interface that is not a reference for
> developers but rather a usable interface immediately to someone who needs
> an ERP platform for their business.
Capitain ! The work is in progress, the earth is far but the sea is
quite and the sun shine :)

First refactoring the screen engine base
Second define new best practice for screen development
Third create a tiny demo application for end user

Oh you give me an idea for the adoption. When a user download ofbiz he
need to run a gradle target present on the documentation.
So we can add two new targets :
  * ./gradle simpleUse that enable the tiny demonstration application
and disable all application component (for the webapp)
  * ./gradle advancedUse that enable all application component.

We just need change the documentation to :
for run ofbiz just : ./gradle simpleUse loadDefault ofbiz
If you are a developer you can do : ./gradle advancedUse loadDefault ofbiz

> - Documentation: We have a lot of documentation resources, but they are
> unorganized, scattered and outdated. Documentation is another key driver of
> adoption and I think a significant amount of work needs to go into
> organizing and cleaning up our documentation. We need a unified resource
> for getting information. I really like for example the documentation of
> Gradle found in docs.gradle.org which breaks things down beautifully into a
> user guide, a DSL reference and JavaDocs with very good sub-categorization
> and hyperlinks between everything.
dream, but it's not my strong ^^

> - Branding: A new website, activities on social media, success stories
> (updating), references, etc ...
>
> The reason I recommend the above strategic initiatives is that they are
> relatively easy and most community members can contribute to which would
> provide great value by leveraging the help of as many people as we can.
>
> Thoughts?
I wil try to follow you Taher :)

Cheers,
Nicolas