ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: Java 8 and functional programming in trunk
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2015 12:26:22 GMT
You are right there is no need to wait for a frozen branch, we can already put Java 8 new code
features in trunk and we will have them in the next
frozen branch which will need Java 8. Though we still need to agreed on this, I see not reasons
we will not, so yes it seems to me a lazy consensus
apply. On the other hand we need to be very careful when backporting to released branches.
We shall not introduce Java 8 new code features in them,
they are supposed to work with Java 7 only for supported ones (older we no longer backport
anyway)

Hoo I see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-6458?focusedCommentId=14576325 :D

You are a committer, go ahead (maybe wait few days if ever someone is against)

BTW Java 8 is great but I believe Jigsaw in Java 9 will have even more impact, notably regarding
the recent resurrection of the
http://ofbiz.markmail.org/message/25dse4jke2fp64mx thread in the "Moving groovy script files"
thread

Jacques

Le 14/10/2015 12:17, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :
> Hi Jacques,
>
> I am a bit confused? Why wait for a frozen branch for anything? I thought trunk is your
development/unstable bleeding-edge part of the code. This is where you introduce changes without
worrying about people's stable systems because they base their systems on release branches.
In fact, branches exist only to stabilize trunk at certain points of time.

> Furthermore, if we introduce Java 8 into trunk, what possible logical reason exists for
_voting_ to use the new features of the language? Why did you upgrade in the first place if
you do not intend to use the newer features?

> Taher Alkhateeb

be discussed but does not prevent 1. Of course any commit
> with 2 will be rejected as long as an agreement on 2 will not be reached
>
> Jacques
>
> Le 11/10/2015 19:09, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>> I am not sure why backwards compatibility is an issue with moving to Java 8.
>>
>> It works well,
>> it is the supported version of Java.
>> As far as I have heard, the Java 8 JVM runs code compiled with earlier versions of
Java. (My own experience is uniformly positive).

>> I can see no reason to think that anyone who is developing or using OFBiz would need
to compile or run with an older version of Java.

>> In this day of VM and Docker Containers, it is hard to imagine that someone would
be stuck on an older JVM in a production environment and unable to
>> come up with a configuration that would allow them to run JVM 8 to support OFBiz.
>>
>> IMHO, we should just move to requiring the supported version of Java as soon as possible.
>>
>> Ron
>>

>> On 11/10/2015 4:14 AM, Taher Alkhateeb wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> We created and provided the patches for this issue since June and OFBiz is pretty
much ready to move to JDK 8. I'm not sure if lazy consensus is