ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Ron Wheeler <rwhee...@artifact-software.com>
Subject Re: Java 8 and functional programming in trunk
Date Sun, 11 Oct 2015 17:09:20 GMT
I am not sure why backwards compatibility is an issue with moving to Java 8.

It works well,
it is the supported version of Java.
As far as I have heard, the Java 8 JVM runs code compiled with earlier
versions of Java. (My own experience is uniformly positive).

I can see no reason to think that anyone who is developing or using
OFBiz would need to compile or run with an older version of Java.

In this day of VM and Docker Containers, it is hard to imagine that
someone would be stuck on an older JVM in a production environment and
unable to come up with a configuration that would allow them to run JVM
8 to support OFBiz.

IMHO, we should just move to requiring the supported version of Java as
soon as possible.

Ron

On 11/10/2015 4:14 AM, Taher Alkhateeb wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> We created and provided the patches for this issue since June and OFBiz is pretty much
ready to move to JDK 8. I'm not sure if lazy consensus is enough or whether a vote is warranted
to move this issue forward?

--
Ron Wheeler
President