ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Brohl <michael.br...@ecomify.de>
Subject Re: Should we revert 1530237?
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2015 12:26:24 GMT
Hi Jacopo,

I agree that the field length should be equal on every database to avoid
migration problems if you change the database.
So +1.

Regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 21.08.15 um 12:34 schrieb Jacopo Cappellato:
> Hi all,
>
> in rev. 1530237 the sql type for Postgres for "comments" and "description" fields was
changed from VARCHAR(255) to TEXT:

> https://fisheye6.atlassian.com/changelog/ofbiz/?cs=1530237
>
> The original contribution and discussion can be found here:

> However I don't think it was a good idea and I suggest to change the types back to VARCHAR(255)
because the new TEXT type allows strings of any length; all other types definitions (MySQL,
Derby etc...) are using VARCHAR(255) thus limiting the length of "comments" and "description"
fields to 255 characters and now Postgres is the only one that is different.