ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: References for DITA as a tool for on-line help
Date Sat, 06 Jun 2015 21:39:44 GMT
Le 06/06/2015 23:33, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> OK DITA seems powerful but not an easy tool to work with (not only because of XML verbosity
but also tags and concepts to learn)
> Sincerely the examples in http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Information_Typing_Architecture
frightens me a bit (and remembers me how verbose is XML)
> We would need to convince the community it's the gith tool for OFBiz documentation...
and more...

> Also I wonder if we simply don't know Docbook enough to be really able to compare them...
> What would be the cost of moving from DocBook to DITA in OFBiz?
>
> Is http://www.dita-ot.org/ of value?
> Found this by change https://doconv.readthedocs.org/en/latest/features.html
> With http://www.dita-ot.org/2.0/readme/dita2docbook.html this would allow to mix tools
(I think we should go that way, but have a tool of reference
> in OFBiz, still to choose if we don't keep Docbook)
Actually the question is how much these converters are reliable... Only a POC can demonstrate...

Jacques

> Jacques
>
> Le 05/06/2015 16:13, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>> I have found another great reference for planning a DITA project in order to maximize
the possibilities for reuse.
>> http://www.stilo.com/article-dita-reuse-conversion-together/
>>
>> It is useful reading if you want reverse engineer some ideas about where the big
benefits will come from DITA.
>> For example, it talks about creating a "warehouse for conrefs" where is recommends
writing fragments "conrefs" that are included by name.
>> It suggests that these should be used for
>>
>>  * GUI objects, fields, buttons, icons
>>  * Frequently used steps, with step results and info
>>  * All your notes and warnings
>>  * Pre-requisites that are commonly mentioned, like having
>>    administrative privileges
>>  * Boilerplate - legal, copyright, notices,
>>
>> When you think about each of these as a multilingual fragment that can be called
in by referencing a key, you can see that this
>> a) reduces translation - translate the key once and every place it is referenced
has the translation done
>> b) improves consistency
>> c) makes customization a lot simpler - if you have changed a field label or button
label, you only have to change the conref once and it is changed
>> in your documentation.
>>
>> There is also a discussion on using keys.
>> If we define variables such as version numbers, it makes it easier to ensure that
versions (Java, Tomcat, OFBiz, etc.) are consistent everywhere
>> with a single variable to change.
>> If URLs are keys, you only have to change one key when a web page or file moves.
>> Keys can also be used to select or exclude content which will make it easier for
System Integrators to prepare manuals related to different