ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Heath <doo...@brainfood.com>
Subject Re: move to git.
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:50:00 GMT

On 04/23/2015 03:28 AM, Scott Gray wrote:
> "I am thoroughly familiar with Git."
> "Git always screws things up."

If git always screwed things up, then those other 3 projects wouldn't be
using it.

ps: I realize this was a quote from Adrian, and not Scott.

> These two statements are complete contradictions.  Outcomes in git only
> appear strange while you're still unfamiliar with it.
>
> I've been using the git-svn bridge to commit to OFBiz for about 4 years and
> using a git repo on my current project for the last 18 months or so.
> Strange occurrences stopped happening for me after a couple of months and
> generally stopped once all developers either stopped using git client UIs
> that used settings they didn't understand or they started using the command
> line (which is exceedingly simple for basic workflows).

I also had strangeness happen earlier on, when I first started. What I
can surmise happened, after all these years, is that I used git in the
wrong way, and git did exactly what I told it to do.  But then, since I
was a noob, I didn't know what I had done was wrong, only that what I
was seeing was not what I expected.

It's the same kind of thing when you go "rm -rf $HOME".  Of course all
your files are now gone, but that's not the fault of rm.

> The value of feature branches and pull requests over patches cannot be
> overstated IMO.  The ability to easily multi-task on features, review pull
> requests, keep a real commit history for contributed features, to
> collaborate outside of the main repo puts git miles ahead of svn for
> collaborative incremental software development.

Let's not forgot that the complete project history is available offline,
that the .svn files are not scattered all over(which makes grepping for
stuff difficult, as you have to exclude those files from results), that
you can include ancient history from previous project lifespans(I have
added svn.ofbiz.org history in one of my git-svn ofbiz clones, so I can
see history going back to 2003, well before the switch to apache, and
even when Andrew created a new repo with the mostly current component
structure).

As for that last item I mentioned, if we do switch, I would *love* to
include such ancient history.

Then, how do you(not you Scott) thing I can commit 15 changes all at
once?  I do all that work in a single commit.  Then I save it. Then, I
use git rebase, and split the commit into smaller chunks. Woops, that's
a new feature, let's change the order of the commits, moving that one
first.  Oh, my bad, I have a typo in a commit message, let's change
that.  Ok, I'm happy now, time to run all tests against every single
commit(while I switch jobs and work on something else).  Ok, everything
passes, git svn dcommit $HASH, flood the mailing list.

In the svn workflow, only a single patch can be committed at a time, and
you have to manually save local work, to build up the patch history.
Git actually allows me to produce more stable code, when I am splitting
up single-large-commits.