ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: move to git.
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2015 08:44:06 GMT

Le 21/04/2015 02:14, Adam Heath a écrit :

> On 04/20/2015 07:12 PM, Adam Heath wrote:
>> I used to be in the same boat; in the early days, I would blame git for losing my
work.  "Damn you frigging piece of software!"

>> However, I also realized that the linux-kernel was using it to do much more complex
things than I was, so I toiled on.  It took me a long time, but
>> I was finally able to figure out how to make use of git's features.

Dare I point the linux-kernel  and OFBiz are somehow different? We have 18 active committers,
I guess linux-kernel has (much?) more...
  I read it's even organised in a hierarchy http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4166530/how-to-manage-a-hierarchy-of-committers-like-linux-kernel-dev
I believe Git was created because Linus needed to delegate but still have the control... Why
do we need to switch form Svn to Git is my question?
I prefer to focus on other fields in OFBiz like
"OFBiz : open or in progress" https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12311912#
"Patch Available in OFBiz" https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12314132

>> The main thing that keeps you from losing work, is to commit *everything* to git.
 If you leave *anything* in your $working_tree, not committed,
>> then yes, sometimes things get confused.  But once you have everything committed
to git, there are certain things that git helps you with, with
>> regard to keeping copies of stuff around.
>>
>> ==
>> # git config --global rerere.enabled true
>> # (echo adfadsfasdf; date) > new-file
>> # git branch before-new-file
>> # git add new-file
>> # git commit -m "This is my cool new file, yipee!"
>> # git log
>> # git checkout before-new-file
>> # git branch -f master before-new-file
>> # git checkout master
>> # ls new-file  # hmm, where did it go?
>> # git reflog # hmm, seems to show the commit from above
>> # git log trunk # commit is gone
>> # git log trunk@{1} # this shows the commit, and the file
>> ==
>>

> Gah, too many git features.  git rerere is a feature to cache rebase resolutions; the
feature being discussed here is not the same thing.

Well, so I need to dive deep in Git, but what for? Do I really miss that as an OFBiz committer?
I hope you see my preferences...

Jacques

>> This is just one of the powerful features that git has.  I have rerere enabled locally,
but don't use it often.  I enabled it long ago, because I
>> saw that it keeps copies of all my rebasing and branching, so that I can feel safer
about having this safety net.

>> Also, I when back in time, and found an older copy of the previous ofbiz svn tree,
and "underlayed" it into the current git-svn checkout, so I have
>> git history going all the way back to 2003.
>>
>> On 04/20/2015 02:53 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>>> I don't agree that "all major contributors are using git."
>>>
>>> Personally, I find Git to be an overly complicated solution to a simple problem.
It frequently does bizarre things that no one understands, and
>>> you are left with things being mysteriously reverted for unknown reasons.
>>>
>>> This isn't a -1 vote though. I'm just making it clear that I will be dragged
kicking and screaming into using it.