ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Taher Alkhateeb <slidingfilame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] reintroduce the evicted specialpurpose components in R13.07
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:44:07 GMT
Hi Jacques,

With respect to your question below on BIRT and regardless of whether
reports are failing or not IMHO we should discuss the principles.

So the question is very simple. Is it better to use Apache FOP with the
screen widgets to create reports or is it better to utilize a reporting and
business intelligence engine?

To me, this is a no brainer. A full blown engine is definitely better (even
if not necessarily BIRT) for the following reasons:

1- Designer WYSIWYG tools available for much greater productivity and user
friendliness. You can even expose such tools directly to your clients.

2- Ability to design data set, cubes, parameters, charts, graphs, master
pages with headers and footers, and a lot more

3- Ability to do dynamic scripting of the data on an event model which
allows for maximum flexibility in design

4- Ability to export output to many formats (PDF, HTML, word, excel, CSV,
...)

5- Ability to specify unified report libraries containing shared themes,
master pages, javascript source files, CSS, images, etc ...

6- Ability to deploy the reporting server as a standalone solution

7- Ability to integrate with the entity engine or to connect directly to
the database.
8- Building reports on a modular design structure

The above is just a quick brain dump, I am sure there are many other
benefits.

My 2 cents.

Taher Alkhateeb