ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: Adding UML to the Wiki
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2015 17:36:34 GMT

Le 19/02/2015 17:19, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
> That would be great.
> I do not have write access to that part of the wiki but I could contribute some text
and examples and links to the sites that I have found for
> Graphviz.
>
> It would be good to have some guidelines  ( "Use the embedded Wiki tools such as Graphviz
and Gliffy whenever possible." "when you create a grphic
> externally, add the source file to a child page as an attachment  with the name of the
tool and how the graphic can be regenerated." If you create
> Use Cases or other UML, add the model as a child page.")
>
> What are people using for UML?

I believe most people use ArgoUML, at least I know the Neogia team did at some point They
also mentioned their UFO tool
http://www.neogia.org/wiki/index.php/U.F.O.
It has only the entity part, but anyway, sincerely I'm not a fan of UML and such, I'm more
inclined to something like Hemp where graphics are less
important
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/HEMP-Book-Now-Available-4640689.S.255382432

I tend to find https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Data+Model+Diagrams enough
for my needs.
For my day to day work, I rely more on search in OOTB *mode*.xml files. Data Model Diagrams
sounds convenient but they are also often blurring things.
When you have a data model with 800+ tables it's not surprising...

Jacques

> One can use Gliffy but it does not create a model so there is no repurposing or analysis
possible from the effort of creating the drawing.
> I have only seen a few Use Case drawings in the wiki but I did not find the source model
that was used to create the drawings or even a mention of
> the tool used and I did not check to see if they were in Gliffy or not.
> I use ArgoUML which is free and open source.
> It is pretty complete but like some other open source products, it lacks a bit of polish
and the docs are spotty.

> Ron
>

> On 19/02/2015 9:49 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> Maybe we could create a page in the wiki (children of https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/Apache+OFBiz+Contributors
or directly a
>> section in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Contributors+Best+Practices)
with Guidelines for graphics in the wiki?