ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [RELEASE] Apache OFBiz 12.04.03
Date Sat, 21 Jun 2014 19:30:07 GMT

Le 21/06/2014 17:41, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
> I understand the costs of open source but most are in a bit better shape.
> We use around 50 OSS packages in our own software.

I guess most other projects have not the scope of an ERP. This is one of the problem with
OFBiz documentation: where should it stop.
On the other hand I agree that documentations like setups and such need to up to date an as
clear as possible.

> This also makes me look at documentation very critically since I understand how the cost
of using OSS depends to a great degree on the documentation.

> It appears that there is a lot of documentation for OfBiz but it is in a lot of places
and a lot has not been update as things change.

It's impossible to centralize others efforts... It's even difficult to be sure about our own
documentation. I tend to think now that we should rather
remove all what is wrong, or even deprecated, rather than trying to barely keep those alive.

> Unfortunately I ran into problems in the very first step where the installation docs
were both wrong and outdated in ways that made me question the
> project management of the project.  This has an impact on the long-term cost of going
with OfBiz.

Yes, that should ever be reported like you did. In order for us to keep thing cleans, thanks
for your effort!

> I appreciate that this is a volunteer organization and that project management is not
easy in this environment but that just makes it harder not
> optional.
> I also appreciate that the development team includes important contributors for whom,
English is not their first language.
> It is easy for me to fix the problems that this causes, if the facts are correct and
written down in some form.
> It is easy to reword a paragraph but almost impossible to make up content that does not
exist.

> Je puis lire et parler français et écrire avec difficulté.

Je confirme, en effet !

Jacques

> However, Google translate is still one of my best friends!
> It also helps clean up English.
> It is sometimes helpful to run an English paragraph through Google to see if it is sufficiently
clear for Google to translate correctly.
> Often a simple restructuring of the English to fix Google's French translation makes
the paragraph much easier to read.

> Ron
>
> On 20/06/2014 4:23 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>
>> Le 16/06/2014 22:54, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>>> A bit of both. There were some encouraging words written in earlier exchanges
about documentation but a release just got approved with no comments
>>> or questions about documentation.
>>>
>>> I had high hopes that OfBiz would be a more polished product that was ready for
use.

>>> I am disappointed in the on-line and wiki documentation.
>>>
>>> The UI does not seem very user-friendly. It seems that the end-to-end processes
reflect the framework rather than the use case.
>>> Without any documentation, it is hard to know if my investigation of simple processes
has been done correctly.

>>> I am still looking to see if it has the functionality that I need but am starting
to look at other alternatives since I have not found what I need.

>>> The user list seems to be mostly web companies that are focused on eCommerce.
>>
>> I think the community is more diverse but "web companies focused on eCommerce" are
more vocal indeed.

>>> Many seem to be selling customization services or customized versions of OfBiz.
>>
>> Few, not many, you can refer to the top of this page https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Apache+OFBiz+User+List
>>

>>> I am looking for a product that I can install and turn over to an accountant
and a bookkeeper to setup the chart of accounts, the parties, AR and
>>> AP while I focus on the product catalog and delivery tracking.
>>> It appears that I will have to invest a large amount of time in explaining the
framework and UI to people who just want accounting to work.
>>> I do not need more overhead.
>>
>> There is  a price to pay to be free http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Loup_et_le_Chien
(I guess you know how to use Google translate)

>>> If the people who are using it to generate income are not willing to invest in
UI and documentation and there are no big corporations using it who
>>> are willing to invest in supporting it, I am worried that it will never get to
be a polished product.

>> I think Adrian already well explained this point. To add something: I'm currently
working on a project where OFBiz is only seen as a services
>> engine, most people using OFBiz don't care about its UI, because of what Adrian explained.
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>>> I do like the technology of the framework and could extend it if I had to since
it does fit with our core competencies as far as software
>>> development goes. It does have a lot of functionality that I think could help
improve some of our processes.

>>> As I said earlier, I am willing to help out with documentation if we do go ahead
but I do not have the time to dig for facts that other team
>>> members already possess but are too lazy or whatever to share.
>>>
>>> Probably just more ranting!
>>>

>>> Ron

you simply ranting because the project doesn't measure up to your

fix) release for the
12.04.03" (major
"03"), will supersede

signature file