ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Anne <a...@cohsoft.com.au>
Subject Re: assets and inventory
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2011 06:44:37 GMT
Hi Hans

We looked at something similar to this a long time ago, but the client
decided not to go ahead. If they had, we would have discussed this in
detail on the mailing list before proceeding. Seeing the client didn't
go ahead, we never went past a rough idea of how we might do it.

>From memory, here's some of the conclusions and ideas we had.

The items to be rented would be FixedAssets, but associated with
products. No inventory. The productTypeId was ASSET_USAGE. The
FixedAsset entity has an instanceOfProductId field which we would have
used.

There's code there currently that is not general, but specifically for
accommodation reservations. As some of our rental items could be
booked ahead of time for 30 minute increments, we were wondering about
generalising that code. My own opinion was that the existing code was
so specific to accommodation that it would be simpler starting again,
but more research was needed before we would know whether I was right.

When a customer rented an asset, they would be assigned to that asset
using a role via PartyFixedAssetAssignment. So an asset without a
current PartyFixedAssetAssignment of the right roleType would be free
for renting.

If we did replace the existing reservation code, we were thinking of
using Requirements, as they seemed ideal for managing the relevant
important details. Namely, that a customer requires a specific fixed
asset for a specified span of time. Once confirmed/approved this could
become a PartyFixedAssetAssignment. This could of course work for
accommodation as well as lots of other things.

We weren't intending to use the existing Order system, as rental of
the non-booked items was to be on-going, invoiced monthly. And any
bookable items rented during a month were added to the monthly
invoice. Using Orders would have been unneccessarily complicated. The
clients wanted one invoice per customer per month. They didn't want to
know about orders or anything like that. So we were thinking of a
service that ran monthly, looking at all current
PartyFixedAssetAssignments plus those that ended during the month, and
generating an invoice based on that information.

We didn't look closely at shipments, but did notice that the
ShipmentItem refers to an ItemIssuance entity that includes a
fixedAssetId, so we assumed the data structures would support it, even
if the code didn't yet exist for it. I am guessing this was originally
meant for shipping assets somewhere for maintenance, but I didn't see
much difference at the shipment level between shipping an asset for
maintenance or for temporary use by a customer.

Because we weren't intending to use the Order system, we wouldn't be
handling returns via it either. When a rental item was returned, the
PartyFixedAssetAssignment would be expired. The invoice generation
service would include it at the end of the month, or the user could
trigger an invoice run immediately for a specific customer.

I don't know how much of the above we would have actually done that
way had the project proceeded. But I hope it's given you some ideas.

Cheers,
Anne.

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/