ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Gray <scott.g...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Subject Re: Discussion: BuildBot component independence check
Date Sat, 02 Jan 2010 10:47:33 GMT
Doesn't the build order prevent this?  If one were to try and add a
java dependency from the framework to the applications then the build
would fail would it not?

While it is certainly possible, I'm entirely convinced of the need to
use buildbot for this.  The reason buildbot is great for the tests is
because it is so easy to unwittingly break them yet difficult to track
down and fix after the fact.

With component dependencies all that is really required is a firm
understanding by all committers of what the dependencies are and why
they should be enforced.  I really think it's easy to avoid creating
dependency problems by simply being aware of them and for the most
part they are pretty easy to spot and to fix.  I would suggest that
the main reason there are problems right now is because no one is
making enough noise about the dependencies not being enforced.

Additionally, there is no point setting up a buildbot process that is
going to fail so the dependencies would need to be fixed before this
discussion can really come to any sort of resolution.  At that point
the community may wish to consider completely separating the framework
and applications as sub projects and if that happened then we'd need
to setup completely different buildbot processes and the dependency
issue would become somewhat irrelevant by complete separation.

Regards
Scott

HotWax Media
http://www.hotwaxmedia.com