ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Gray <scott.g...@hotwaxmedia.com>
Subject Re: buildbot failure in ASF Buildbot on ofbiz-trunk
Date Tue, 05 Jan 2010 21:32:04 GMT
On 6/01/2010, at 10:19 AM, Adam Heath wrote:

> buildbot@apache.org wrote:
>> The Buildbot has detected a new failure of ofbiz-trunk on ASF
>> Buildbot.
>> Full details are available at:
>> http://ci.apache.org/builders/ofbiz-trunk/builds/2245
>>
>> Buildbot URL: http://ci.apache.org/
>>
>> Buildslave for this Build: isis_ubuntu
>>
>> Build Reason:
>> Build Source Stamp: [branch ofbiz/trunk] 895940
>> Blamelist: jonesde
>
> Scott has said in the past that the buildbot doesn't run on every
> checkin.  This means that multiple commits might be tested.  Would it
> be possible to have failure messages list all of the revisions that
> are being covered, based on the last successful commit?

This is what happens, for example take a look at the build after the
one above which covered a few commits: http://ci.apache.org/builders/ofbiz-trunk/builds/2246

> Additionally, it'd be nice if once a failure is detected, it'd either
> do an auto binary disection, to find the commit that actually failed
> in the list of covered revisions, or it could just try them all.
>
> For instance, if 891234 is good, and then 892765 fails.  892765 would
> get recorded as a state change, putting ofbiz into fail mode.  It
> would then try 891562, 891840, 892496, and 892599, reporting that it
> tried these other revisions, and noticed the error first occurred at
> 892496, then ofbiz would stay in fail mode, and the buildbot would
> keep quiet until it detects that ofbiz has been fixed.

I have no idea if buildbot is capable of this but you're more than
welcome to investigate it and request changes from infra.
In general though I think it's usually fairly obvious what the cause
of a problem is based on a quick look at the stdio from the failed
build task.  I don't think it's a huge ask for each committer on the
blamelist to take a minute or two to figure out if it's their problem
or not.