ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From David E Jones <jone...@undersunconsulting.com>
Subject Re: Parameterize serviceName in error message for permission error.
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 06:44:43 GMT

That's a different issue, sounds like the one from your other email
earlier today.

Having a permission extension like "_ROLE_PARTY" is weird, I'm not
sure _what_ that is for. It looks like a variation on the "role
limited permissions" that are an established pattern in OFBiz. The
best example of them is probably the checkProductRelatedPermission
simple-method in the ProductServices.xml file. On line 511 you'll see
where it uses "CATALOG_ROLE" as the prefix instead of "CATALOG".

When doing role-limited permissions the "_ROLE" appendage should
always be a suffix to the "permission", and not a prefix to the
"action" side of the permission. I have seen this confused before and
I think it's a bad practice because it breaks the normal suffix set
("_CREATE", "_UPDATE", "_DELETE", "_VIEW", "_ADMIN").

The basic idea is that if you have something like a "CATALOG_ROLE"
permission base instead of the "CATALOG" permission base, then you
have to be connected to the item in question either in a
predetermined role, or in any role, depending on how things are coded
(ie it's a convention, not a set of hard rules).

-David