ofbiz-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Caudill" <erudif...@gmail.com>
Subject ofbiz in an order fulfillment capacity
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2006 08:49:16 GMT
Firstly, thanks for contributing this fantastic piece of software to the
global community. If it were proprietary, I would literally be a bit poorer
now.

I'm working on the software for an order fulfillment company. Ofbiz seems
like the best starting point, but the lack of multi-tenancy support is
somewhat troublesome.

To clarify, an order fulfillment company in this context means
a company that fulfills orders for other companies (clients, in our
nomenclature).  Clients have orders associated with them, and naturally
there is a fairly complex pricing structure. OFBiz seems ready to deal with
this sort of association.

My main issue is product management and order entry on a per-client basis.
My first thought was to write a front-end to OpenTaps using Ruby on Rails.

The idea is, when we get a new client, we use the OFBiz party manager to
create a party classification group, and create a new other_organization
party called "Fulfillment Client". Then, we add to this party a
user with web service access.
Each instance of a shipment, arrival, and order will have to then be
associated with a Fulfillment Client.

I then create a set of Ruby on Rails models to speak with OFBiz via
SOAP, and implement a very straightforward interface for order and
product management.

Does this seem insane?
Where can I find, or how can I generate, WSDL files?
 Is there any documentation on this?

Any thoughts, suggestions, links to good reading material?

I'm also working on code to integrate OpenTaps with the FedEx Ship Manager
Server (to automate the printing of shipping labels and pricing, sadly Win32
only but it should also work with their web API), and I'd like to contribute
this back to the community under the Apache license. It's in a rough state
at the moment, I haven't actually set up the Ship Manager Server so I can't
test it yet, but I think I got it mostly right. If anyone is interested in
having a look at this, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Thanks again!

P.S. Yes, it's 4am, please disregard any percieved senility, thanks =)