ode-user mailing list archives

From Nelson Andrés Alvarez Salcedo <naalvar...@itosmosys.com>
Subject Re: Reading from a DB/File in a BPEL process
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:59:22 GMT
El 21/07/2009 9:48, kodeninja escribió:
> So what you're saying, Nelson, is that if something like this is required, it
> also has to be exposed as a web service and that there's no other way?
>

> Nelson Andrés Alvarez Salcedo wrote:
>
>> El 21/07/2009 9:30, kodeninja escribió:
>>
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> If I want to read/write some stuff from/to a DB/File from within a BPEL
>>> process, should that also be exposed as web service to my process, or is
>>> there a way to write, say, some custom Java code that can talk directly
>>> concerned entity? I'm trying to find out what kind customizations/hooks a
>>> BPEL supports?
>>>
>>> When I search for this stuff online, most of the links returned are from
>>> Oracle, where they talk about writing Adapters for achieving the above.
>>> Are
>>> adapters some standard BPEL stuff?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Kodeninja
>>>

>> You should consider the elements you manage in the BPEL process as
>> *basic services*. Following this point of view, a BPEL process should
>> only interact with exposed services and it was, as far as i know,
>> designed to work that way. BPEL orchestrates (tells everyone what to do
>> and when to do it, even integrating human tasks into the process) and
>> its XML speech means that it talks to services through XML messages.
>>
>> Hope I make myself clear while trying to be helpful.
>> --
>> Nelson Álvarez Salcedo
>> /"Verba volant, scripta manent"/

What I share here is related to different projects I've been working on.
A BPEL process lives among many other things in a SOA environment.
Hence, the focus should be that. A BPEL process, in the very end
(despite the vendor's kind-of-standard-implementation), is an XML file
used by your BPEL engine. Whatever it uses, lies outside, somewhere out
there. Just like using an ESB which follows the VETRO pattern (Validate,
Enrich, Transform, Route, Operate). Here as well, the bus handles some
validation logic as well as transformation, but the real talking to the
artifacts you're using to gather/store data is done by the web services
alongside the bus.

This link could help. *http://tinyurl.com/lpxeef. *Also, the User guide
in ODE's website could make it clearer*. *Regards and good luck*.
*