ode-user mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: How to improve performance
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:29:58 GMT
Hi Anne,

Comparing JSR181 and BPEL is like comparing apples and oranges, especially
if you are using persistent processes.  With persistence, the bottleneck is
usually database I/O so you are effectively measuring the performance of
your database, not Ode.

Here are a few tips to improve performance:
1) Use non-persistent processes
2) Disable or reduce the number of (persistent) events generated
3) Beef up your database tier
4) If full recovery isn't an issue, you can also apply various
database-level optimizations and tricks such as using simple recovery or no
recovery logs at all

On a single node with a decent database tier you should be able to reach for
40+ transactions per second (web service invocations; throughput).  Without
persistence, we've clocked 150+ transactions per second.  YMMV, of course.

I've seen the Minerva exceptions before.  My suggestion there would be to
use a different transaction/resource manager.  The standalone mode in its
current incarnation isn't meant for production/demanding workloads.   I
think we should consider migrating to Jencks (relying on Geronimo's
transaction manager) in order to bring about better stability at this level.

cheers,
alex