nutch-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Kubes <nutch-...@dragonflymc.com>
Subject Re: focused crawls -- where to add parse filter
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 03:12:54 GMT
Brian Whitman wrote:

>> How about an outlink filter that works during parse? In
>> ParseOutputFormat,
>> it will take the parse text, parse data (etc.) of the source page and
>> the destination url then will either return "filter this outlink" or
>> "let it through".
>
>> Write an HtmlParseFilter that sets an attribute in the ParseData
>> MetaData based on whether the page contains what you are looking for.
>> Then write another MR job that runs after the crawl/index cycle.  This
>> job would need to update the CrawlDatum MetaData based on your
>> priority calculation (inlinks and contains text, etc.).  Then hack the
>> Generator class around line 160 to change the sort value that it is
>> using based on the CrawlDatum MetaData.  I would make using this new
>> sort value an option that you can turn on and off by using different
>> configuration values.
>
> Hi Doğacan, Dennis:
>
> Thanks for the ideas. I spent some time mentally planning out how to
> implement both of these ideas by looking at the source. I'm still newish
> to Nutch so excuse my naiveté.
>
> Do either of these approaches let me get at the analyzed/indexed
> contents of the page text so that I can perform Lucene queries for
> filtering? What I could tell of the HtmlParseFilter or Parse in general
> is that it gets me at the parse tree, which i could do regexp queries on
> -- but I'd rather it be all in Lucene and be influenced by the relative
> ranking of terms amongst all documents. I am envisioning machine
> generated queries from our classifiers that might be hundreds of tokens
> long with boost values per term, and a score threshold. So I'd need to
> act on the documents post-index. Unless I'm reading your suggestions
> incorrectly, neither of them let me at that?

You could drop the HtmlParseFilter part and simply write the post
crawl/index MR job after to update the CrawlDatum based on your lucene
queries.  You would still need to write the second part that does the
generation based on a different sort value.

> I am currently looking at PruneIndexTool -- could a modification of this
> work? I could run it after a crawl/index cycle but before invertlinks
> and the next generate. The one issue I see is that PruneIndexTool claims
> not to affect the WebDB. Does this mean that even though the lucene doc
> will be gone, the link and outlinks will remain in the WebDB and will be
> fetched anyway?

That is correct.  You will need to alter the CrawlDb to affect what is
generated and hence fetched.

> If I should instead be looking harder at your recommended
> HtmlParseFilter or ParseOutputFormat, please correct me.

No if you are doing complex queries instead of something like "if this
page contains words x, y, and z"  then I wouldn't do it through
HtmlParseFilter I would probably go with the lucene after index approach.

Dennis Kubes