nutch-user mailing list archives

From "Jay Pound" <webmas...@poundwebhosting.com>
Subject Re: ndfs problem needs fix
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2005 19:39:22 GMT
ok here short and sweet I've found some problems that need fixing with ndfs:

1.) we need to split up chunks of data into sub-folders as not to run the
filesystem out of  its physical limitations of concurrent files in a single
directory, like the way squid splits up its data into directories.

2.)when a datanode is set to store data on a nfs share / samba share (via
conf) and the connection is severed the whole ndfs filesystem hangs untill
data can be written to that one drive, when the drive map is re-connected it
goes really fast for a few secs to catch up (50mb a sec for about 15secs)
this will also be a problem when a HD fails in a system, the datanode will
still function but the drive will not be able to send-recieve data because
its dead and ndfs will hang.

3.)we need to set a limit on how much of the filesystem can be used by ndfs,
or a max # of 32mb chunks to be stored, when a single machine runs out of
space the same thing happens as in #2 ndfs hangs waiting to write data to
that particular datanode not transmitting data to the other datanodes

Also I've found its much more stable now, I havent had any crashes when the
conditions are ideal for the way ndfs is now!

sorry about the big e-mails, my brain goes much faster than my fingers!!!
-J